Author Topic: Grain Trailers Anyone?  (Read 2579 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
Re: Grain Trailers Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 02:09:21 AM »
As for for the DuraStar and grain trailers, Jimmo's right that most would have twin duals.  But 40 ft trailers can still be found today, especially on smaller farms, where the farmer keeps running something as long as it can be fixed.  Given that, they'd be more likely paired with an older tractor, but I'm sure you could find a farmer somewhere with a DuraStar pulling a 40 ft trailer.

Especially in the Midwest, such a rig would probably have a "pup" trailing, a 20 to 28 ft single-hopper trailer, which could be kitbashed, or scratchbuilt, as it doesn't have to be from the same builder as the long trailer.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:11:07 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
As for for the DuraStar and grain trailers, Jimmo's right that most would have twin duals.  But 40 ft trailers can still be found today, especially on smaller farms, where the farmer keeps running something as long as it can be fixed.  Given that, they'd be more likely paired with an older tractor, but I'm sure you could find a farmer somewhere with a DuraStar pulling a 40 ft trailer.

Especially in the Midwest, such a rig would probably have a "pup" trailing, a 20 to 28 ft single-hopper trailer, which could be kitbashed, or scratchbuilt, as it doesn't have to be from the same builder as the long trailer.

I don't recall any mention of 40' grain trailers being obsolete or dated. These CPS/Manacs are contemporary trailers, I'm not sure how far back this design goes but it appears that they may have originated as far back as the '70s or '80s.

One of the things that make our modeling efforts more realistic is modeling the typical, not the unusual or unlikely.

What I was attempting to point out was the usual nature of having a single axle medium-duty truck pulling a grain trailer of this size. There's actually a couple of unusual points here. Just having tandem axles on a DuraStar would not solve this issue as a DuraStar with tandem axles is about as rare as they come. They exist, but they are rare. International stopped offering them as an option a few years after the DuraStar was introduced. I'm going to assume the reason was that they were underpowered and did not fare well out there in the trucking world. If a farmer had a DuraStar, it's likely he would have a flatbed, stakebed or grain body straight truck.

There are always exceptions but then that falls into the category of "unusual."

If I were Catt, I would swap out the DuraStars for those Atlas Ford 9000s or wait for my 28 footers to become available.
James R. Will

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 06:41:39 PM »
Around my part of Michigan The grain farmers will haul their trailers with anything with a fifth wheel.With in my circle of friends there may actually be 3 of them that know diddly squat about farming (or hauling grain) and the trucks look fine to them. :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 06:51:31 PM »
Around my part of Michigan The grain farmers will haul their trailers with anything with a fifth wheel.With in my circle of friends there may actually be 3 of them that know diddly squat about farming (or hauling grain) and the trucks look fine to them. :D

...then again, it's your hobby, you do whatever makes sense to you (and your circle). I'm just glad you purchased my items.
James R. Will

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 02:35:02 AM »
Jimmo:  I was mostly commenting on the "medium duty DuraStar not being appropriate for 40 ft grain trailers".  Most of the newer ones I've seen, mostly on Midwest vacations, were longer than 40 ft, but you're right, they come in all lengths today, from about 20 ft on up.

As for the DuraStars, you know a whole lot more about them than I do.  I never gave a second thought to one pulling grain.  I just look at a modern tractor and say "too modern", then ignore it! 

The Atlas Fords do look good pulling grain trailers. 

Catt:  That's the way it was in eastern Washington in the 60s and 70s.  You saw trucks during the grain harvest that should have been in museums.  They may not have been pulling the newest trailers, but if it ran, the farmer would find SOMETHING it could pull.  Since they were only needed once a year, it didn't make sense to buy fancy new trucks.  He might have one or two newer trucks, used for everything year-round, and a bunch of antiques for the rush.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 07:13:37 AM »
Jimmo said,

...then again, it's your hobby, you do whatever makes sense to you (and your circle). I'm just glad you purchased my items.

Me too  :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Pesto

• Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 01:58:37 AM »
Sorry, I'm coming to this thread a bit late...I'm not seeing any grain trailers in the Willmodels Shapeways shop.  Are they yet to be released?

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 02:09:10 AM »
Sorry, I'm coming to this thread a bit late...I'm not seeing any grain trailers in the Willmodels Shapeways shop.  Are they yet to be released?

Soon to be released. I am still waiting for prints so I can give them my final approval. If you like I can put them up in beta.
James R. Will

Pesto

• Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 02:17:14 AM »
No, there is no rush as far as I'm concerned, just overlooked that they were still in development and then wondered why I couldn't find them  :facepalm:  I will watch for their official release.

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »
I just got word that my sample printed with no problems. As soon as I get it and look it over real good, I'll put them up for sale. There will be two sizes, 40 foot and 28 foot. They will also be available tarped or open.
James R. Will

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
As the saying goes Jim,"Pics or it didn't happen" . :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »
As the saying goes Jim,"Pics or it didn't happen" . :D

Still waiting for USPS Johnathan, but here's what the 28' with tarp should look like in FXD:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
James R. Will

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 10:38:21 PM »
I could use a few of those for Gordon Grain Services.Will these make it to Z ?
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 11:26:56 PM »
I could use a few of those for Gordon Grain Services.Will these make it to Z ?

Not sure yet Johnathan. I'm still considering that Millie's in Z.
James R. Will