Author Topic: Atlas S2  (Read 18085 times)

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
Re: Atlas S2
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2015, 12:12:04 AM »
Would someone with a unit be able to address this question?

Md

Mark,

I can try and set up some UniTrack and my PowerCab tomorrow.

I take it you want to understand whether or not it can crawl?

-Dave

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2015, 12:18:51 AM »
Mark,

I can try and set up some UniTrack and my PowerCab tomorrow.

I take it you want to understand whether or not it can crawl?

-Dave

yes please.

thx Dave

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »
Something about the cab side windows doesn't look right to me.  The "center post" looks several times wider than it should be.  Disclaimer: I am looking at photos online.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2015, 09:44:53 AM »
just saw pics at MB Klein...not liking that rather large separation between the cab windows...I know it's there in the S2, but that seems a little overlarge...hmmmmmmmm
We'll see..it didn't look that exaggerated in the unpainted pics...hopefully it's just an optical illusion...
Bruce

I know...right?
again...hoping it's just an illusion
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »
Mine looks like that.  At least on the PRR unit, there is a silver frame which makes it look like the window post is larger than it really is.

Edit: Reserving comment until I have a chance to look it over better.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:12:47 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:04 PM »
Did anyone get a E-L DC unit, RD # 533?
 Joe D

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
So is this unit worth the BIG price? Smallest N scale plastic engine offered at the largest price tag.
Peter Pfotenhauer

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
So is this unit worth the BIG price? Smallest N scale plastic engine offered at the largest price tag.

The shell is diecast metal.
But irregardless, I'd say it's worth the $160 I preordered it for. Only thing I had to do with it when I went to test it was clean the wheels real quick.
Runs well and sounds great.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »

With due respect the statement "Smallest N scale plastic engine offered at the largest price tag" isn't, in my opinion, accurate nor fair... here are some ESU Lok Sound equipped locomotive MSRP's.....

Atlas S 2 - $ 239.95
Intermountain SD40-2T - $ 249.95
Rapido GMD-1 - $ 249.00
Intermountain F units - $ 234.95

Of these; only the S2 and GMD-1 are brand new tooling; the Intermountain units are existing tooling; yet all these units are about the same price. The "size" of the locomotive isn't the issue; in fact I would submit that I would expect to pay more for a smaller unit given the fact that custom decoders are needed for these small units, ergo development costs, time and extra effort are needed on the part of the mfg and the decoder supplier. (I've just been down this road with the GMD-1 - sometimes you just can't get the decoder you "want" from the supplier you want in the time you need because the silly thing just doesn't exist yet...)

Atlas S2 is market competitive and is pushing the envelope in terms of high quality sound in a very small footprint.

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2015, 12:30:31 AM »
With due respect the statement "Smallest N scale plastic engine offered at the largest price tag" isn't, in my opinion, accurate nor fair... here are some ESU Lok Sound equipped locomotive MSRP's.....

Atlas S 2 - $ 239.95
Intermountain SD40-2T - $ 249.95
Rapido GMD-1 - $ 249.00
Intermountain F units - $ 234.95

Of these; only the S2 and GMD-1 are brand new tooling; the Intermountain units are existing tooling; yet all these units are about the same price. The "size" of the locomotive isn't the issue; in fact I would submit that I would expect to pay more for a smaller unit given the fact that custom decoders are needed for these small units, ergo development costs, time and extra effort are needed on the part of the mfg and the decoder supplier. (I've just been down this road with the GMD-1 - sometimes you just can't get the decoder you "want" from the supplier you want in the time you need because the silly thing just doesn't exist yet...)

Atlas S2 is market competitive and is pushing the envelope in terms of high quality sound in a very small footprint.

My apologies for missing the $10 gap between this and the Rapido and Intermountain units. Smaller is often more expensive, I agree, as can be a rarer prototype because of a smaller run, so why not push the envelope on a larger model?

The S2 looks exquisite, and seems to perform remarkably well for a loco this size, but I guess without hearing it in person appreciating the sound is something I can not yet do. There have to be less expensive ways to add even higher quality sound to a layout than cramming tiny speakers into small, unacoustically friendly confines.
Peter Pfotenhauer

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2015, 03:15:34 AM »
My apologies for missing the $10 gap between this and the Rapido and Intermountain units. Smaller is often more expensive, I agree, as can be a rarer prototype because of a smaller run, so why not push the envelope on a larger model?

The S2 looks exquisite, and seems to perform remarkably well for a loco this size, but I guess without hearing it in person appreciating the sound is something I can not yet do. There have to be less expensive ways to add even higher quality sound to a layout than cramming tiny speakers into small, unacoustically friendly confines.

I think the idea was to push the envelope on the small loco first. If they can do it in this loco, they can put sound in anything larger fairly easy. The problem is, with most of their current equipment, to do sound right would require retooling of the frame. Might as well tool something fresh to show of the sound first. It's not like there are a lot of options for a new loco that aren't already covered that could be done in such large numbers.

Tony Hines

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2015, 04:22:15 AM »

You think?  Have you ever priced some small European locos? Here is one much smaller than S2, and that is a DC loco (no sound or even a standard DCC decoder). 
http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Trix/12343.aspx

Who knows, maybe both models are even made by the same factory in China.
. . . 42 . . .

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »
Regardless of whether it's the 'most expensive small loco' or not...those cab windows look odd.
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2015, 09:56:19 AM »
You think?  Have you ever priced some small European locos? Here is one much smaller than S2, and that is a DC loco (no sound or even a standard DCC decoder). 
http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Trix/12343.aspx

Who knows, maybe both models are even made by the same factory in China.

They might be, Ski. Never priced European locos. I should have specified NA loco I guess.

I still feel that the increase in price for sound equipped locos is of questionable value to the scale given how hard it is to replicate the sound of a prototype engine in an area as small as an N scale loco. I just don't get why people are willing to spend roughly $100 extra for it. Pushing the envelope is necessary for improved overall quality, ala the coreless motor in the Jato FEF steamer, but will the effort to cram better quality speakers and sound effects into locos distract from improving quality in other facets of engine engineering or model design?

I'm glad that Atlas offered sound and non sound equipped locos. Even the silent runners are higher priced than I like to see, but there are many improvements in the level of detail and overall quality of the locomotive that are clearly driving that along with the changes in the Chinese marketplace.

I like Atlas products. I will continue to buy other offerings they market, and eventually will buy some silent #10 turnouts when that ship comes in, container is unpacked, and product flushed down the pipeline to my favorite retailer. I'll probably pass on the S2 even though one might work nicely as a switcher at my paper mill.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:00:48 AM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer