Author Topic: More 3D printing news  (Read 1172 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
More 3D printing news
« on: March 18, 2015, 12:48:56 AM »
This company has made the rounds on various tech blogs over the past few days:
http://carbon3d.com/

While they do not show a product after being cleaned of resin, they do show an electron microscope close up and it looks like there is virtually no thatching that has been the bane of hobbyists so far. No word yet on minimum detail size though.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: More 3D printing news
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 03:19:52 AM »
Interesting.

But why post this in the Trading Post section?  :|
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:26:26 AM »
Interesting.

But why post this in the Trading Post section?  :|

So John can move it? :D
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »
This is several years away. (The 3D printer, not the moving of the thread.  :P )

Lots of splash, very little substance. Everything about the site screams "(Lab prototype.) But we have funding!" There is a whole bunch of ground to cover to get something at this stage into a real-world product. That they're not even showing an artist's concept of commercially-marketable packaging or anything other than their test shape is, in my mind, quite damning.

Other newcomers in the biz are showing product in finished packaging for live demonstration, but, still, as much as a year away from actual delivery. I don't care how many UNC professors or graduates you have on your staff, you still can't hire nine women to make a baby in a month. I'm more surprised/amazed this much talent doesn't grok that long-range pre-announcements like this become distractions frequently fatal to projects being moved from R&D into production.

I have two interrelated concerns with the tech. First, the cited "non-mechanical" attribute says "DLP" to me. DLP has issues with beam spread at the margins. Then there's the small build area of the demo'ed prototype. Will it scale up?

Not holding my breath, IOW. Or... maybe... my (sad) experience in tech development is nagging me that the splash is not intended to build buzz about a future production device, but to cash-out the tech and let somebody else worry the details of bringing it to market.

:|

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »
The SEM image is rather interesting.  There is a lot of substance to this team and I suspect they have the goods to make this happen.  The publication and patent record of the CEO speaks for itself. 

This is a fast moving field and I expect to see a lot of significant gains in speed and resolution going forward.  It will change the way a lot of things happen, sooner than later I suspect.

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »
fast moving...
kinda the point ain't it?

as far as I am concerned, that appears to have the smoothness we would like.
the resolution may be a factor... right now we have to add details in any case

it is hard to imagine a printable polymer that can hold up to the combo
of tough enough and thin enough.

I'd like rivets as long as I don't need to sand around them, they can be on the large side.

victor

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3158
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »
Victor the part that is coming out of the fluid still has a a film on it. The part has not been exposed yet.

The process seems cool though but chemical reaction has many dependencies and failure points.

As for this being a fast moving industry, I'd like to counter that by saying that I was trained on a 3D Systems SLA 500 nearly 25 years ago and I'm still seeing the EXACT SAME surface flaws as I did then.  Most of the advancement has come in the form of non toxic materials.  I had to wear a hazmat suit in the printing chamber then!  :scared