Author Topic: yellow horn UP F-3A  (Read 1567 times)

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
yellow horn UP F-3A
« on: March 14, 2015, 05:59:56 PM »
Noted Kato's update on new production F-3s.  Those yellow horns should liven things up!  All this time, I thought Union Pacific F units had black horns like my ancient MiniTrix F-7A.  Google KatoUSA if the link does not take you there:

http://www.katousa.com/N/F3/index.html

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:00:35 AM by GaryHinshaw »

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: yellow horn UP F-3A
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »
Guess modelers will have to paint them in the proper Harvest Mist.  That was the only color I could find being used on horns for F-units.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »

Something like this is tough due to how dirty the roofs got.  Almost anything that's been in service will be covered in grime.  You can find some F unit pics on RRPA that show very dirty, but yellow horns also some b/w shots that are pretty clearly yellow.

Here's another clear image.

Jason
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:10:29 PM by wcfn100 »

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:50:43 PM »
Holy Road warrior plow batman.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »
Thanks for photos.  Maybe Kato wants to steer some business to model paint and brush vendors.  Those bright yellow horns need to match the Union Pacific yellow.  Other than that, Kato makes a good-looking locomotive.  I own an earlier Kato F-3 AB Southern Pacific black widow set and glad to see that more are coming.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
Suspected when I made my post that some may have better examples than what I found on RR Picture Archives and George Elwood's site.  The few shots I could find showed gray not yellow.  Does look pretty good I do have to say...

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 03:11:06 PM »
For the record, my comment on the black horns on the old MiniTrix F-7A was in jest.  Years ago, nearly all N scale came with black hand rails, brake wheels, horns, and other detail parts.  My opening comment on Kato's anticipated re-release F-3 UP locomotive related to the  bright pale yellow horns being totally off shade for the yellow locomotive.  I have seen photos of prototype Union Pacific F units with either yellow or gray horns.  This includes Rock Island patch jobs on their former UP F-9A and Amtrak patch E-9A locomotives that I saw running in Oklahoma and Texas during the 1970s.   

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 12:10:55 AM »
Speaking of horn colors, the coral pink horns on KATO ATSF warbonnet paint schemes look way WAY better if you paint them to match true SF Red. And use a very fine brush with a dab of black to paint the inside of the horn bells to give them depth. Drilling out the exhaust pipes and steam generator vent and painting the holes' insides black also does wonders. These may be only small details, but since we see our locos mostly from overhead they really make a difference.

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:03:24 PM »
Great snow plow

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
Holy Road warrior plow batman.

Maybe RRs should start adding these back to units to minimize the car stuck on tracks syndrome we're having of late.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.