Author Topic: Weavers closing, along with Scalecoat  (Read 7853 times)

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
Re: Weavers closing, along with Scalecoat
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2015, 03:04:15 AM »
TS-35 "Park Green" and Model Master 28118 "Green Go" work for BN Green, being off in different directions, but a little weathering takes car of that, and both are gloss paints

Just used Park Green to paint my SD40-2B....while not an exact BN green, if there even is such a thing, its close enough to my other locos. Besides, whats wrong with a few different shaded in the power pool.

Ended up using park green because its just too damn hot to use the paint booth in my office/workshop and have the booth vent out the window when its 110 during the day and over night lows are in the 80s.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2015, 01:16:58 AM »
mmagliaro:  Custom made paint could be a good market for historical societies.  Find a company that offers the service, especially if several groups could get together with a source that understood modelers and their unique paint needs.  Then the roads with their own custom colors could have truly correct paints, and the societies could make a little extra money.  It might even attract a few new members. 

Ike:  I don't think there is a "correct" BN Green.  Even when the railroad was new the paint color seemed to vary.  And if you're satisfied with Park Green, I'll designate that my "standard" color, as much as I have one.  I've been using whatever green paint was handy for the last 45 years.

Your story is one of the reasons I still use cans.  I've lived all my life in mobile homes or a small house, and never had a good place for a spray both.  Most of the windows weren't suited for venting, and the indor air usually has cat hair in it anyway.  Easier to grab a paint can, already at "room temperature", and step out onto the porch.  The air was clean, the smell and fumes weren't a problem, and there was no cleanup afterwards.  Of course, spraying in the winter was a little iffy, and often had to wait for a moderately warm day, but opening the window wouldn't have worked either!  Just don't try Dullcote on a very humid day.  The results are less than ideal.
N Kalanaga
Be well

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2015, 07:37:18 AM »
There is a good article in RMC June 2015 about using craft paints in your airbrush .. go forth to Michaels and paint :)

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »
Nkalanaga, in the weekend update post, there is a shot of the SD40-2B I just finished.

Like you said, BN didn't seem to standardize on a green. I have no issues with different locos being slightly different shades of green.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
There is a good article in RMC June 2015 about using craft paints in your airbrush .. go forth to Michaels and paint :)

Sure, they can be airbrushed - but personally I don't care for them anyways. They are more troublesome than organic solvent based paints.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2015, 12:43:50 AM »
John:  I saw that one, and might try it for brush paints.  I've used a lot of them for scenery, as they're cheap enough to dump into the water when mixing plaster.  No more white spots if it gets chipped!  And they make good weathering paints as-is.  Not having an airbrush they'd be strictly for brushing, but a viable substitute for Polly-Scale would be useful.

Ike:  I saw your loco, and didn't think twice about the color, which is a good thing.  It looks fine!  The Park Green is a little too blue for my taste under sunlight, but even there it doesn't look wrong.  There were quite a few prototype BN cars and locos that had me wondering who mixed their paint, and I've seen some a lot stranger.
N Kalanaga
Be well