Author Topic: New TomyTec Apartment Structure...  (Read 2559 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +63
New TomyTec Apartment Structure...
« on: February 27, 2015, 06:21:59 PM »
I just noticed this new TomyTec building they released. I'm not saying its great, but it looks promising. I'd put it in the same category as the Woodland Scenics built-ups. With replace a couple details maybe change out the windows it would make a nice structure, and a definite change up from the DPM lineup.

I then went on a search and found a few other buildings which would pass well for American buildings. The warehouse looks very close to the B&O Mt. Clare Warehouses or could be modified as an engine house (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10279825)

I am no expert on TomyTec, just thought I would pass it along for folks that might find a use...

The S.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1277
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: New TomyTec Apartment Structure...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »
That doesn't too bad, mix it in with other kits or keep it away from the front edge.
Some of their stuff isn't too bad.  A little clunky in some cases.
I picked up a set of these the other day and was pretty happy with them.

Also got these that I'm working on now

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:37:53 PM by Bendtracker1 »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
Actually, I'm very impressed with that warehouse structure.  I could easily find a use for it on an expanded Juniata Division as part of, say, Standard Steel.  Or if it still had its windows, give it a square smokestack and it's the Aspen Smelter on my Colorado Midland.

Lots of potential there!

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +63

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »

Also got these that I'm working on now

Allen, how do you like those tanks? I've seen them listed online, but not in person. The support beams look a bit clunky in photos. Lord knows there is a dearth of good industrial tanks and piping in N scale.

I have the modern construction site and like that one.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1277
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:20:52 PM »
I'm actually working on them as we speak.  These will go with the Olin-Chlor scene I've been working on.
Again I don't think they're too bad, a little shorter than I'd hoped for, about 2-3/4" tall.
The mold lines come right off and these actually fit together a bit better than the Distillation towers did.

SOO [Wyatt] pointed out to me that the catwalks looked a little clunky as well.  I thinned them down a bit and painted them with a darker silver in hopes to hide the thickness a bit,  but I think they'll still be too big and thick.  If they were in the back of scene, they'd be fine.
I did order a set of Gold Metal Models industrial walkways and ladders with safety cages just incase.  In time I plan to add some more piping to them and add a little more interest to the tops.

The "Concrete" pads are a little thick but they could be sanded down a good 1/8" or so and give them a thinner appearance.

I had given some good thought to picking up a set of the Faller Upright storage tanks, which do look nicer, but I think these will do once I get them painted and weathered a bit.  Soon as I get them done I'll post some pics on the blog as well.
I think I paid $16.60 plus shipping from Japan for the six tanks.  But I also got a few other items for Malvern to help offset the shipping.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:23:58 AM by Bendtracker1 »

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »
I'm actually working on them as we speak.  These will go with the Olin-Chlor scene I've been working on.
Again I don't think they're too bad, a little shorter than I'd hoped for, about 2-3/4" tall.
The mold lines come right off and these actually fit together a bit better than the Distillation towers did.

SOO [Wyatt] pointed out to me that the catwalks looked a little clunky as well.  I thinned them down a bit and painted them with a darker silver in hopes to hide the thickness a bit,  but I think they'll still be too big and thick.  If they were in the back of scene, they'd be fine.
I did order a set of Gold Metal Models industrial walkways and ladders with safety cages just incase.  In time I plan to add some more piping to them and add a little more interest to the tops.

The "Concrete" pad are a little thick but they could be sanded down a good 1/8" or so and give them a better appearance.

I had given some good thought to picking up a set of the Faller Upright storage tanks, which do look nicer, but I think these will do once I get them painted and weathered a bit.  Soon as I get them done I'll post some pics on the blog as well.
I think I paid $16.60 plus shipping from Japan for the six tanks.  But I also got a few other items for Malvern to help offset the shipping.

Six tanks is not bad. Railings are easily replaced. I hadn't realized it was six.

I like the Faller kit too, but I think it might actually be harder to fInd.

Everyone at work thought I was nuts when I asked them to start saving the center of their Scotch tape rolls and adding machine tapes.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Peter Pfotenhauer

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »
I've got a bunch of old cigar tins (before plastic) which I had intended to make tanks with.  If you can find any they are perfect for tall thin tanks.  I guess the newer plastic ones would work also.

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 03:49:32 AM »
I found the other structure they offer of the warehouse with opened doors and windows:

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/diocolle/lineup/tatemono/tate036.html

I have this engine house. Perfect kit bash fodder for the D&H loco facility in Whitehall. Change the end door arrangement and Im there.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 04:01:17 AM »
Walthers now carries TomyTec. You can search their website for TomyTec Structures, there's quite a lot there.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 10:19:57 AM »
Whoa, that warehouse looks amazing. I need to get me one.

CrazyLynx

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »
Aren't those supposed to be 1/150 scale?  How do they look next to your typical DPM 1/160 building?

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 12:47:31 PM »
Yes, 1:150.

Buildings can be more forgiving of the scale differential, as 1:1 window and even door sizes vary quite a bit in buildings.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4530
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »
Yes, 1:150 vs. 1:160 is not too drastic of a difference. People figures just look a bit taller (but reasonably so) and as for cars, a 1:150 Toyota sedan will look like a full size 1:160 Ford Crown Vic.  :D  Still acceptable.  But the line of British 1:148 scale vehicles to me looks way out of place if mixed with 1:160 cars.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 01:40:25 AM »
Many older buildings, built before cheap electric lights, had taller doors and windows than today's, to let in the natural light.  Also, brick sizes varied more a century ago, making it even easier to hide a slightly out of scale structure.

It is odd that 1:150 Japanese cars look acceptable, while 1:148 British ones don't, but I've noticed the same thing.
N Kalanaga
Be well