Author Topic: New Pin Vise?  (Read 918 times)

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
New Pin Vise?
« on: February 18, 2015, 11:13:14 PM »
Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting an upgraded pin vise from the one I have now and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on getting a new onefrom there own experience?  Also I've read about some who use a Dremel to use #80 bits and smaller in their modeling so is there any advantage to a mechanical drill over a manual pin vise? Thanks for your help!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
Re: New Pin Vise?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:30:50 AM »
Drilling holes in metal is a lot quicker with an electric drill.  On the other hand, a hand-held electric drill is also a good way to break very small bits, unless one has a very steady hand.  For plastic the pin vise works just as well, is less likely to melt the plastic, and is a lot handier.  I have, and use, both.
N Kalanaga
Be well

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
Re: New Pin Vise?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:50:55 AM »
I have a bunch of pin vises... avoids having to change bits when body mounting waaaay too many boxcars. For metal, I use a hand crank MicroLux tapping fixture, for both drilling and tapping. It works pretty well. My one complaint is that there is no lock on the vertical movement of the drill, so that it is want to drop down to the workspace in between use... which is annoying if you are positioning something in your vise.

Tapping fixture:
http://www.micromark.com/microlux-tapping-fixture,8363.html

Oh yeah, you'll need to pick up a small vise that can mount to the workspace to hold whatever you're working on. Don't even bother trying to hold by hand. This is the one I use... kind of ungainly but it mounts to the workspace and has acquainted itself well holding many MTL boxcar chassis.

Vise:
http://www.micromark.com/quick-jaw-vise-2-1and4-inch-capacity,8093.html