Author Topic: Basel Tramway  (Read 938 times)

RAIL N SCALE

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
    • RAILNSCALE
Basel Tramway
« on: January 28, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »
Hello,

Since some months I'm working on a little tramway project. The idea is to design my own old street car without diving deep into difficult technology. By this I hope to make an affordable kit.
Because I wanted to make a small layout I decided to go for a two axle narrow gauge tram.

On the internet I found some information of the tramway in Basel (Switzerland). I decided to design a motor car (Ce 2/2) with a trailer (C2).

The driveline is coming from the Busch 'Feldbahn' system. The advantages of this driveline is it's simplicity and small size. The big magnet keeps the driveline frm on the tracks which makes this light vehicle pretty reliable. Also the velocity of the Busch Feldbahn is pretty suitable for a tram. A disadvantage is that the driveline operates on one speed only. But I do not regard this as a big drawback. The Busch track system is not the finest looking in the world (it is designed for H0f, rather than Nm), and it is also a bit flimsy.But since the tracks are embedded in the road paving this is not an issue at all. The relatively small curves (115 mm) is also nice.

The tram is 3D printed by Shapeways and you can see the first test drives in this video:

/>
Best regards,
Maurice