Author Topic: Bachmann Announces N NYC J3a Hudson  (Read 502 times)

71jeep and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +247
Re: Bachmann Announces N NYC J3a Hudson
« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:11:57 AM »
Ah, the old saying of “If you kit bash it, they will build it next year” applies to me here. With this release I’ll buy one (or two?) and save my concor for a conversion into a Nickel Plate Hudson with smoke deflectors.

Start with a USRA Heavy Pacific rather than a NYC Hudson.   You need spoked drivers and the NKP 4-6-4 had smaller drivers than the NYC.

BTW this release from Bachman is conventional outline...not Dreyfus or ESE.....yet.

Charlie Vlk
The challenge here is that the only USRA Heavy Pacific in N scale is the old Rivarossi model - and it's drivers are under sized and over flanged.  Also, the mechanism needs a fair amount of work - if you are lucky enough to get one with a good frame.       A Model Power/MRC light Pacific has better sized drivers,  but shell is metal and integral to the mechanism and the whole thing is both a beast to work on and infinitely finicky.
George
(that's my real name)

NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #16 on: Today at 01:05:32 AM »
+1
The streamlined Hudson's pulled streamlined lightweight cars in 1938.

Wrong scheme, close cars. It would still look very good.

http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/NYC20th38.htm
« Last Edit: Today at 01:15:42 AM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +1093
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:08:00 AM »
Time to recreate the J1-K4 race each evening at Englewood.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +163
« Reply #18 on: Today at 04:52:26 AM »
The challenge here is that the only USRA Heavy Pacific in N scale is the old Rivarossi model - and it's drivers are under sized and over flanged.  Also, the mechanism needs a fair amount of work - if you are lucky enough to get one with a good frame.       A Model Power/MRC light Pacific has better sized drivers,  but shell is metal and integral to the mechanism and the whole thing is both a beast to work on and infinitely finicky.

I think @UP4-8-8-4 used the MP Pacific as the basis for his Commodore Vanderbilt here (https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=49765.0), so the shell might not be as integral as you think. It is the entirety of the weight, though.
- Christian J. Davis

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #19 on: Today at 05:32:48 AM »
I had this model since they were originally released back in the '90s, but I didn't have enough funds back then to buy the matching brass train that was released at that time.

You could still use it to pull a train of heavyweight cars: