Author Topic: Passenger car couplers.  (Read 1032 times)

TVRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
Passenger car couplers.
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:32:36 AM »
    I've got half a dozen various Atlas/ Rivarossi/ Concor heavyweight sets that I'd like to change from the Rapidios they came with. Most have the 6 wheel trucks with split coupler pocket, no metal box.
I'd like to find out about alternative replacements for the hooks using the current trucks, auto uncoupling not needed. MT's will do it but I'd be interested in less expensive alternatives. Thanks!
Modeling Southern and N&W in the southeast.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: Passenger car couplers.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:35:19 AM »
 :|         The old Unimate coupler later sold through Red Caboose was / is a dummy coupler with a T Shank end that fits in the Rapido Pockets and uses the Rapido spring. There are different length's short, medium and long shank. If you do want your cars to uncouple MT makes several assemble it your self couplers that will fit in the pocket with a T Shank end. Unfortunately I do not know what the new numbers are for these old numbers were like 1131 & 1133. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1333
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:46:20 AM »
For your needs I'll second the Unimates.  They're old-fashioned dummy couplers, have to be lifted and hand coupled, but once together they stay together, and will manually couple with MTs just fine if you ever need to.  I have them on all of my F units, rear of As and both ends of the Bs, and they work fine. 

Feather River Trains has 4-pair packages of all three lengths for $3.00, to give some idea of the price.
N Kalanaga
Be well

TVRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:29:31 AM »
Thank you both for your input, I've ordered shorts and mediums. Looks just like what I need.
Modeling Southern and N&W in the southeast.