Author Topic: SP 60' Arch Roof Coach - Shapeways Build  (Read 2348 times)

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: SP 60' Arch Roof Coach - Shapeways Build
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »
One of my first Shapeways attempts was a 50' Coal Gon.  The test print was mildly successful with car sides just barely above minimum wall thickness (the result warped too easily (but was fixable and usable with effort)), and the cost to print was about 17 bucks if I recall correctly.  Thus, my options were sell a poor quality design, which would frustrate anyone who purchased, or bulk up the walls which would nearly double the cost.  Even at 17 bucks per print, that left no room for a markup (I try to keep my final price per unit below 16$). 

In the end, I decided to scrap that project.  To make it the quality I require, the final cost to print would have been about 35 bucks before markup.  After the standard 40% for markup, that's 50 bucks per car.  I did not deem them worth even the 17 dollars per car for the poor quality test. 

So, yes, I can see 75 bucks for a 72' coach as a reasonable price, based on the above factors alone, and will reiterate Greg's statement that "Whether the models are worth that much is a totally different question!".
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.