Author Topic: Best Of how to make deciduous and/or pinetrees  (Read 35396 times)

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
Re: how to make deciduous and/or pinetrees
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2018, 06:31:26 PM »
+1
One of my first-batch trees stripped down and rebuilt

grove den

• Crew
  • Respect: +129
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2018, 07:12:15 PM »
+1
LIRR: progress on your re- built trees!
Made some new trees too:
an 1/22  scale tree and 2 pine trees in 0 scale, some birchtrees in H0 scale and an old oaktree - almost finished- in winter 1/64 scale
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:16:55 PM by grove den »

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2018, 09:57:17 PM »
I've given this technique a try.  Here's my first four so far.  They're only halfway done but I'm impressed! 

These have had a dusting of pencil sawdust on the trunks, followed by acrylic grey/brown with modeling paste. 

The first tree is modeled on Pennsylvania forests, so I guess that's an ash?  That's what I was going for.  The second is for the middle of the forest.

The third is a Southern pine.  I think I got the basic shape and height right, but the trunk is too fat.  Needs more brown than grey, too.

I wasn't planning is but the fourth looks like a mature pecan tree.

I've got a question about modeling forests.  These trees with this technique look absolutely fabulous, but what about all the smaller stuff that grows underneath the big trees? For example, some trees got cleared near my house recently exposing more of the forest behind that area.  It looks like a wall of smaller trees.  Any simpler way to model that instead of making hundreds per square foot of detailed wire ones with this technique? I'm averaging 45 minutes making these wire frames (including occasional glances at the TV).   
Aaron Bearden

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8035
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2018, 10:47:34 AM »
+1
Every time I see this post I'm reminded: These are amazing. So amazing. So, so amazing.

I've got a question about modeling forests.  These trees with this technique look absolutely fabulous, but what about all the smaller stuff that grows underneath the big trees?

Supertrees my man.

Part of my process while "building" a Supertree forest is picking out the good tall specimens to be good forest trees, but also taking the smaller stuff and spraying and prepping it as well. That stuff then gets plugged in as undergrowth, or picking individual branches off of it for use in smaller application.

That front row is all the "seconds" that weren't good enough for real trees, but work fine for the "Pennsylvania Jungle" as my friend refers to it.

grove den

• Crew
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2018, 04:09:45 PM »
but what about all the smaller stuff that grows underneath the big trees?

the same technic/approach  as used by making the foliage of the trees!
The only difference will be the frames... they just have to be built "smaller"/simpler....and try use the fibers of cheap dark coloured  "halloween"wigs!
Cut the fibres/hair in length of 1/2 to max 1 inch...add these fibres by hand over the simpel frames and colour these fibres with spraypaint. finaly add some 4 mm grasfibres ( electr. stat. )and than some leaves....like coarse turf from Woodland( if it is for H0)
For N scale shrubs etc I add finaly some 2 mm fibres and than some fine turf or small= sieved "leaves"from NOCH....
As you can see on the picture: you can cut of the shrubs easily from the "core"wire!

jos

al the small shrubs on this image below  are made with the above mentioned approache...
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:19:20 PM by grove den »

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3158
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »
@grove den , or anybody with some ideas,

How would you go about creating saplings of various trees?

Yes forests look great with fully grown trees and wonderful floor cover, but there are always saplings in forested areas from the adult trees dropping seeds in between the large trunks.

Looking for a simple method to make 2'-4' SCALE high saplings for my logging module (think A Charlie Brown Christmas), evergreen in particular, and i want to achieve a good look.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »
@grove den , or anybody with some ideas,

How would you go about creating saplings of various trees?

Yes forests look great with fully grown trees and wonderful floor cover, but there are always saplings in forested areas from the adult trees dropping seeds in between the large trunks.

Looking for a simple method to make 2'-4' SCALE high saplings for my logging module (think A Charlie Brown Christmas), evergreen in particular, and i want to achieve a good look.

Very important for the modern PNW modeler, since most timber lands here are run on smart reforestation principles and patches of replanting are noticeable and frequent.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

grove den

• Crew
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »

I made some - H0- pinetree saplings by using 12 mm dark green grasfibres. added on pieces of  floristic wiresfrom about one- one and a half  inch each with a "static gun".....after the glue has set I cut the fibres in shape= conical and than added some 2 mm fibres anf after that sieved fine turf from woodland.
attached pictures of this "sapling treeframe and some results.
You can use the same type of frame to make other kind of "saplings": just use some more layers of fibres for instance....

Jos

LIRR

• Crew
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »
+4

grove den

• Crew
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »
+6
Great atmosphere on your picture LIRR! Looks like a thick blanket of snow just melted away ...waiting for some new fresh 10 inches or more of snow!
I was busy too with some mediteranian kind of trees: some cypresses and a Pinus pinea
by Jos Geurts, on Flickr

Also some pinetrees( scots pine trees)
by Jos Geurts, on Flickr

by Jos Geurts, on Flickr

Jos

LIRR

• Crew
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2019, 07:19:42 AM »
+5

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2019, 08:59:01 AM »
BEAUTIFUL! but get rid of the T-pins.   :D :trollface:

LIRR

• Crew
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »
it's a derailer...

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2019, 09:15:52 AM »
it's a derailer...

LOL!!!!!  For those damn non-compliant engineers!  :)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »
+1

That's the best camouflage of a lally column that I've ever seen.  You might even be able to improve it further, if you were to raise the photo trees on the column to line up better with the photo trees on the backdrop at the rear of the scene.  At least from the angle of the picture above, there's a sky blue hole where the background trees are hidden by the blue sky on the column.

Great job!  Outstanding!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!