Author Topic: N scale BLMA EMD windshield wipers  (Read 1261 times)

unittraincoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
N scale BLMA EMD windshield wipers
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:38:37 PM »
I am getting ready to install some BLMA windshield wipers to an Atlas SD50.

BLMA website says there is no drilling necessary. However the side windows appear to use a #80 hole. 
What about the center cab dual wiper?  Do you just glue it or do you remove the cab and drill #80s?

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
Re: N scale BLMA EMD windshield wipers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
I am getting ready to install some BLMA windshield wipers to an Atlas SD50.

BLMA website says there is no drilling necessary. However the side windows appear to use a #80 hole. 
What about the center cab dual wiper?  Do you just glue it or do you remove the cab and drill #80s?

I have added windshield wipers to virtually all of my diesel locomotives(N Scale). And-- drilled holes for all of them. Don't know how you would add them without drilling.

Regards,
Wolf

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
BLMA photoetched wipers have nice long "shafts" to facilitate mounting them in a hole.  To me that results in much more solid (and cleaner) installation than just super-gluing them on the surface of the cab.

Well all, except for the tandem wiper for the windshields.  Those appear to be designed to be glued on the surface (no shafts on the end of the wiper arms).

I suggested that BLMA revises their artwork to include those shafts on the tandem wipers (and that wouldalso make them more realistically shaped.  I'm not sure if they will ever use my suggestion.

Here is the revised artwork I proposed to BLMA.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

. . . 42 . . .

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »
The Trainworx N Scale wipers are made just the way you describe, I've been using them more and more lately.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.