Author Topic: Atlas Locos vs. Code 40 - Newer vs. Older?  (Read 4594 times)

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
Re: Atlas Locos vs. Code 40 - Newer vs. Older?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »
That is correct since the gear is offset to one side on Kato wheelsets and almost centered on Life-Like wheelsets. But since the half-axle diameter is the same in both brands, the wheelsets can be taken apart then install the Kato wheels/half-axles in the Lifel-Like geared axle. Some axle length might also be needed on the Kato axles (to either lengthen or shorten how fat the pointy axle protrudes from the wheel, but that is also doable.

Also, the Walther's version of this model has new wheels with lo-profile flanges.

I love the gearing design on those Life-Like/Walthers switches. This is the only low-friction truck I have ever seen with double gear reduction (the idlers are double-gears). Other manufacturers should use that design for much smoother and slower running models.

The gears are centered on Kato part # 923120, but are too small to work with the Life-Like idlers.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2017, 08:17:18 PM »
The gears are centered on Kato part # 923120, but are too small to work with the Life-Like idlers.

Exactly - the teeth are too fine. That is why I presented an alternative. The half-axles are simply press-fit in the axle tube and easy to swap.  Plus while the Kato gear is exactly in the center, the Life_like one is slightly off-center.
. . . 42 . . .

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2017, 08:58:09 PM »
Exactly - the teeth are too fine. That is why I presented an alternative. The half-axles are simply press-fit in the axle tube and easy to swap.  Plus while the Kato gear is exactly in the center, the Life_like one is slightly off-center.

The Kato half-axles do fit, but they don't have the "teeth" to prevent them from slipping inside the axle tube.

I figured it would be best to hold off on using any Loctite or ACC until I had a chance to measure the length of the pointed ends  :)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2017, 11:17:18 PM »
+1
The Kato half-axles do fit, but they don't have the "teeth" to prevent them from slipping inside the axle tube.

I figured it would be best to hold off on using any Loctite or ACC until I had a chance to measure the length of the pointed ends  :)

Correct - Karo half-axles are friction-fit int the axle tubes (no knurling).

Measuring before gluing is always a good idea.  :)  But be sure to measure a test-assembled wheelset (overall distance between axle ends), not just how far the axle sticks proud off the wheel face. Kato wheels have thinner tread than Life-Like wheels so the axle will stick out a bit more.

I have not tried to do this with Life-Like wheelsets, but in Kato and Atlas wheelsets I install home-made 0.010" styrene washers between the back of the wheel and the axle (on both sides) to be sure they stay in-gauge. As they come from the factory, they are gauged a bit narrow.  The washers space out the wheels to the proper gauge.
. . . 42 . . .