Author Topic: Colorado Midland Railway Engineering Report  (Read 146532 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Colorado Midland Railway Engineering Report
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
Hmmm perhaps the yard area and where my curved trestle is could stay, but as the creek go toward the back of the layout it could dip down with a few short waterfalls. And then those double bridges would be the tall spindly ones? You know blast right outta the tunnel and over a long tall bridge  8)

You have a lot more space to work with. Before I built mine I had the whole thing drawn full size on a piece of cardboard. That curved trestle was built before the bench work using the plan as a template. As I remember it was a long wait for the (then new) code 55 turnouts to show in the country. One of the few things I ever "pre-ordered".

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »
Also the guy who drew up the other plan with the wye has a On30 and N scale layout he's currently building:
http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com/search/label/N%20Scale

His N scale layout even has a Nn3 spur:

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
Yep, I saw that!

I like the idea of the waterfalls.  That would make for a deeper ravine on that side.  It would not be unprototypical either; Colorado is full of glacial hanging valleys.

I would try to leave room for a depot and a water tank on the yard side.

I'm liking this a lot.  I need to run up to Caboose this weekend, since I don't have all the correct #5s...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »
FWIW, I took the liberty of re-rendering Chris' plan in the 30 x 60" space mentioned at the outset. All switches are Atlas C55 #5. Minimum radius is 9.5".

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
...and BOOM it's DKS for the win!

Nice!  I wasn't sure what the min would end up being.  I think I can do 9.5" (or 9.75" sectional) on the exposed curves but something less tight in the tunnel, since at some point I'd love to have some Athearn/MDC Overland cars done up for the Midland.

I have to think about that trestle.  I'm liking it but it might overwhelm the layout.  The Midland did have a lot of steel trestles, though, like this one in Manitou Springs:

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2014, 05:37:59 AM »
Dave, I'm sure you can find something here you like:
http://www.wildwestmodels.com/products/products-n-scale.html

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2014, 08:07:09 AM »
There is an article about modeling Leadville CO in the april 1989 MR and maybe even may too, it has drawings of structures and more, I remember this because it was my first issue of MR. 8) Figured it might help with some ideas, looking forward to watching this develop.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:09:39 AM by unittrain »

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
That bridge has the same beam lacing pattern as my Cisco bridge.  I have lots of leftover brass etchings if you are interested, probably enough to do it.  Yours for the asking.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »
If you're going sectional (which I kinda prefer for tight curves on a mini-layout), here's the whole thing done sectional, with a couple of minor exceptions. Blue bits are flex for gentle, natural-looking curves, and the green switches are #7s, which make the geometry of that portion of the line less severe.

Edit: nominal grade is 2.5%.

Adios, amigos, and all the best for the new year.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:07:41 AM by David K. Smith »

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »
If you're going sectional (which I kinda prefer for tight curves on a mini-layout), here's the whole thing done sectional, with a couple of minor exceptions. Blue bits are flex for gentle, natural-looking curves, and the green switches are #7s, which make the geometry of that portion of the line less severe.

Edit: nominal grade is 2.5%.

Adios, amigos, and all the best for the new year.

That looks great!  I don't think I'll do quite that much sectional either...  Primarily just those portions of the curves where maintaining a constant radius is important.  I am glad I can use a pair of #7s...  I have those on hand.  I'm also going to use a wye switch where the double siding peels off from the main at the end of the branch.  I have one, and I think it'll look cool.

http://cloverhouse.com/Store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=colorado+midland&osCsid=73slnk5lj3emrj3aah5s42plb6

Dry transfers

Unfortunately, the gon doesn't come in N scale.  I've had bad luck with Clover house as it is.

That bridge has the same beam lacing pattern as my Cisco bridge.  I have lots of leftover brass etchings if you are interested, probably enough to do it.  Yours for the asking.

Thanks for the offer!  We'll see...  I may also just want to do wooden trestles and Howe trusses.

Dave, I'm sure you can find something here you like:
http://www.wildwestmodels.com/products/products-n-scale.html

That mine building looks sweet!  I could probably scratchbuild something similar.  It looks a bit like the Smuggler Mine at Aspen.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:54:43 AM by Dave Vollmer »

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
http://cloverhouse.com/Store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=colorado+midland&osCsid=73slnk5lj3emrj3aah5s42plb6
Dry transfers

Unfortunately, the gon doesn't come in N scale.  I've had bad luck with Clover house as it is.

That gondola easily can be kitbashed from a flat car.  Just add the wood sides and ends to one of the existing turn-of-the-century flat car models.

If you don't like to apply dry transfers directly to the model — apply them to decal film instead, clear-coat them, and then apply as decals.

I've never had a problem with Clover House.  They were the only New Haven option for years, before Northeast, CDS and Microscale started stepping up.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
That gondola easily can be kitbashed from a flat car.  Just add the wood sides and ends to one of the existing turn-of-the-century flat car models.

If you don't like to apply dry transfers directly to the model — apply them to decal film instead, clear-coat them, and then apply as decals.

I've never had a problem with Clover House.  They were the only New Haven option for years, before Northeast, CDS and Microscale started stepping up.

Bryan, I was unclear.  I'm actually eyeing some Shapeways D&SL gons as stand-ins for CM gons.  No, I meant the decals for the gon don't come in N.  Which is too bad, because the Midland used a very unique font for them and even used lower case letters.

Clover House...  He's a very nice guy; I've spoken to him over the phone.  He tried to help me get my brass K4 lettered, but no matter what I did, I never got a complete transfer, and the "buffing" step would partially remove the lettering that did transfer.

I hadn't even thought about converting dry transfer to waterslide...  awesome idea!!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:30:01 PM by Dave Vollmer »

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
I contacted these folks:  http://www.silvercrashcarworks.com/index.html

They make Midland decals in HO scale.  It looks like they may be willing to do some N scale stuff for me.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:07:22 PM by Dave Vollmer »