Author Topic: Unimate T shank coupler  (Read 1165 times)

phil55

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Unimate T shank coupler
« on: January 01, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »
Wonder if these could be made to work on the front of a Spectrum 2-8-0?
Phil

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
Re: Unimate T shank coupler
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »
If it has a T-shank Rapido coupler one can probably install a Unimate.

If it doesn't the Unimate can still be installed, but it's more work.  Cut the T portion off, leaving just the shank, drill vertical holes through the pilot beam and shank, and attach it with a pin.  No centering spring, but it won't couple automatically anyway, so it doesn't matter.  You may have to add shims, or thin the shank, depending on the existing draft gear/mounting holes, but that's basic kitbashing.  If you don't want it to pivot, it can be glued in place, but I'd still use the pin for strength.

I've never had a Spectrum 2-8-0, so don't know what would actually be required, but I did a similar conversion on dummy F unit many years ago.  It was easier to use the body-mount Unimate, but I didn't have one at the time, and the converted T-shank coupled closer anyway.
N Kalanaga
Be well

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 02:31:47 PM »
It could probably be made to work but it's not that hard to fit a Micro Trains coupler on the front.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:45:15 AM »
If the MT will fit with little more effort than a Unimate I'd certainly go that way, if for no other reason than that the MT is smaller.

Have you tried fitting a MT 905 on it?  That would look better yet, if it isn't too hard to do.
N Kalanaga
Be well

phil55

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »
I think that's what I'm going to do. That would be the best choice.
Phil