Author Topic: Neolube in bulk - NOW SHIPPING 22-Jan-2015  (Read 14330 times)

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Re: Neolube in bulk
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »
I'm quite sure I can find a use for a bottle so count me in for 1 bottle.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »
You don't want to inadvertently cause a short by darkening something.  Also, it WILL get somewhere that you don't want if you are not careful.  It can drip or splatter if applied carelessly with a brush and if sprayed, the overspray will get on any unprotected nearby surfaces.  WHATEVER IT GETS ON, EITHER PURPOSELY OR ACCIDENTALLY, WILL BE DARKENED, WITH VERY LITTLE CHANCE OF REMOVING IT.  This includes anything and everything..........clothes, hands, models, scenery, throttles.........you get the picture. 

I don't want to scare anybody from using neolube on their models or layout.  It does exactly what it's designed to do as a lubricant.  We seem to want to use it more for the darkening qualities it gives, which is a by product of the graphite in a liquid carrier.  It will work very well for that also.  Just be aware that you will need to be a little more careful with it to prevent making a mess.

You mean you can't use some alcohol to get the stuff off? Or simply rub it off?  I just don't see a very small residual amount of powdered graphite being all that conductive.
. . . 42 . . .

rschaffter

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »
The graphite is colloidal size, so it will penetrate the smallest pores in the material.... 
Cheers,
Rod Schaffter

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »
I've been trying to get this in Canada with no luck, people wanting insane shipping rates or huge minimum orders.  Any chance of getting a little bottle up to me?  I'd really appreciate it!

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »
The graphite is colloidal size, so it will penetrate the smallest pores in the material....

Now you go and make me look up definition of colloid!  :D

Now I'm worried that NeoLube will never come of my skin!   ;)
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »
Folks:

1. I have decided to take a leap of faith and proceed with this.  There is a good amount of interest in here (and some has leaked over to Trainboard).  Not nearly enough for me to break even, but enough that I'm willing to take
a chance.

2. Neolube contains alcohol, and as such it is considered a "hazardous material" by the Post Office, so it cannot be shipped by air.   Someone asked about going to Canada.  I don't know.  I will be at the Post Office today and I'll ask them.   I would think they could do ground shipping to Canada, but I have no idea what the cost would be.

I will package it in 2 oz glass wide-mouth jars with screw caps that have a seal in them.  Trust me, having used this stuff from the bottle Micromark uses, and the wide-mount jar that PBL uses, you want a wide-mouth jar.
It doesn't tip over.  You only have to spill this stuff once to know you really don't want to spill it  :(

I investigated a number of on-line sources for jars, lids, and mailing boxes.   Thanks to Peteski for putting me onto
freundcontainer.  They did turn out to have the best deal for the jars and boxes, and I'm pretty well stashed with lots of foam I can pack around the jars in the box to protect them, and of course, packing tape around the jar/lid so it cannot come loose in transit or leak.

Wow... who would have thought that the simple process of pouring a big jug into a bunch of little jars and mailing them around would be so complicated!

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »
Now you go and make me look up definition of colloid!  :D

Now I'm worried that NeoLube will never come of my skin!   ;)

colloidal means it is the size of your colloid.

ummmm.....
I am going to have a chat with my joke writer

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 06:35:30 PM »
I should be in for one, too

eja

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »
2. Neolube contains alcohol, and as such it is considered a "hazardous material" by the Post Office, so it cannot be shipped by air.   Someone asked about going to Canada.  I don't know.  I will be at the Post Office today and I'll ask them.

Max,

I work for a paint company that ships hazardous materials.  Shipping hazardous materials is not a trivial matter.  There are requirements for packaging and labeling.  Getting caught doing this incorrectly could result in substantial financial and criminal penalties.  This is a serious matter and a big deal.  Everyone in our facility goes through annual training on this issue as a reminder.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on shipping hazardous materials and tell you what you can or cannot do legally since I don't know the exact composition of neolube and the shipping requirements for this material, but I know enough to know you should probably check into this so that you understand how to ship this stuff legally before your order your big jug of neolube. I know that I personally wouldn't attempt to do what your trying to do because of these shipping requirements.

Good luck! 

p.s.  If you check into this and still are willing to do this, I'll order a bottle, maybe two.

Regards,
Scott

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »
Yeah let me know if shipping to Canada would be possible/reasonable.  Next time I go to the US I'm just going to have to try to smuggle some up or something otherwise.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 07:05:07 PM »
It can't be that hard. MicroMark ships it, right?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
Victor,  I can't find a "groan" emoticon.  :D

Max, I'll take one too.
I wonder how it will work (instead of powdered graphite) for lubricating MT couplers.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »
I appreciate everyone's concern.   But I have checked this out thoroughly with the Post Office,
more than once to make sure I get the same story.

Yes, there are lots of rules about shipping hazardous chemicals.
But it is a lot easier if you are shipping little bottles and not big jugs.  I just got back from the Post Office and confirmed the rules with them again.  The product contains alcohol.  It is treated just like perfumes or solvent-based
paints for hobby use.  All I have to do is tell them that it is flammable, and they will mark it and ship
it ground-only.  There aren't even any extra extra charges.

If you are an industrial user, shipping large quantities of flammables, or large containers of it,
it gets a lot more complicated.  Fortunately, it's not as bad for little fish like us mailing 2 ounce bottles.

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
I would be interested in a bottle, if you do this.

Mark H. 

GN63

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 08:26:58 PM »
Max, I will take one too, Byron in Erie CO