Author Topic: Kato FEF 3 decoders, which one?  (Read 2579 times)

Paradise275

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Kato FEF 3 decoders, which one?
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »
For those of you that have the new FEF 3, which non sound Decoder will you/did you install?
I gather that the Tsunami micro 750 heavy steam is the sound decoder of choice (or the only one so far).

Rick
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:25:34 PM by GaryHinshaw »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: Kato FEF 3 decoders, which one?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
I have the TCS on my bench waiting for the round tuit. Soon, but not today.

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
I got the Tsunami 750 but don't want to (can't bear to) butcher the FEF to do the install. 

So I ordered a Digitrax PNP - DN163K4AB, what Digitrax recommends.

I suspect some smart manufacturer will do a sound PNP with only two speaker wires to the tender - if they do, I'll be in line. 

That would make an install almost easy - you'd still have to butcher the tender, though, but not the light board.

And now an update:

It don't work.  (*@&%#&@$%!!!  Runs fine on DC, nada on DCC.  Programmer can't see it.  Gave up in disgust - for today.  Will futz with it tomorrow, cause like Scarlett says, "Tomorrow is another day."

In the meantime have ordered a TCS K6D4.  Will likely work better anyway, having two separate power feed points instead of the single one up front that Digitrax provides - which is where my suspicions lie at the moment. 

Sigh.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:07:51 PM by jereising »
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

jereising

• Crew
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »
Further Update:

Typical Digitrax.  Only one set of pads for power, in front.  I used an .010 shim and a four-folded piece of Kapton, and added solder to the decoder tabs, and we have joy.

I saw where someone added sound using a Tsunami 750 Heavy by simply adding the sound decoder - using the same address as the PNP - in the tender, thus avoiding four wires from tender to loco.  This greatly simplifies the install and avoids those four wires to the loco which to me is an accident waiting to happen.  Added cost around $30 for the PNP.

I think I'll try this.

In the meantime, I love the loco.  Beautifully engineered.
Jim Reising
And on Trainboard:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
Further Update:

Typical Digitrax.  Only one set of pads for power, in front.  I used an .010 shim and a four-folded piece of Kapton, and added solder to the decoder tabs, and we have joy.

I saw where someone added sound using a Tsunami 750 Heavy by simply adding the sound decoder - using the same address as the PNP - in the tender, thus avoiding four wires from tender to loco.  This greatly simplifies the install and avoids those four wires to the loco which to me is an accident waiting to happen.  Added cost around $30 for the PNP.

So the decoder PC board is again thinner than the Kato light board?  Since both manufacturers already get together on the exact dimensions of the board, why can't they get the thickness right?!   Yet another plug-n-play install which really isn't.

I dislike the dual decoder installs. If not for anything else, it is for the inability to at least semi-accurately synchronize the chuff rate to the driver rotation.  The sound decoders I've played with use BEMF of the motor to quite accurately sense the speed (rotation) of the drivers.
. . . 42 . . .

jereising

• Crew
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »
So the decoder PC board is again thinner than the Kato light board? 

Not this time.  Kato left a lot of room under the front tab on this loco - which is designed for front and rear power tab pickup, while the Digitrax board has only a front set of tabs - on this variation, anyway.  I forsee a quick revision from Panama City...

And I still think someone will come out with a drop in sound board in for this loco.  'Cause there will be a lot of them out there.
Jim Reising
And on Trainboard:

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 12:11:17 AM »
Not this time.  Kato left a lot of room under the front tab on this loco - which is designed for front and rear power tab pickup, while the Digitrax board has only a front set of tabs - on this variation, anyway.  I forsee a quick revision from Panama City...

And I still think someone will come out with a drop in sound board in for this loco.  'Cause there will be a lot of them out there.

I originally bought the Tsunami to install but also a TCS to install until I get some LEDS for the lights. I can only hope for a PNP but if its not in a month or so then I'm not waiting. I can live with the wires like I do on my GS-4.

I just firmly stand that I won't own a steam locomotive that doesn't have sound. It's like owning a Prius, you know there is a motor, but you never hear it.

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

Paradise275

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 01:56:43 PM »
I have the TCS on my bench waiting for the round tuit. Soon, but not today.

Have you got your "round tuit" TCS decoder installed yet? Just wondering how the installation compares to the Digitrax install description above.

Rick

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »
I picked up my FEF w/pre-installed TCS decoder on Saturday from my dealer. (Yeah, I know I could have saved a few bucks)

-Dave

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »
Have you got your "round tuit" TCS decoder installed yet? Just wondering how the installation compares to the Digitrax install description above.

Rick

When I installed my K6D4, seemed like it was nice and tight in there. I didn't have any issue when I was programming it on my sprog and tested it after that.

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...