Author Topic: Thoughts on Bachmann New False Front Structures?  (Read 1707 times)

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
Thoughts on Bachmann New False Front Structures?
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
Saw these at Caboose Hobbies last weekend.  All looked nice, with exception that maybe the window sills were a bit thick and didn't like the colors (which, of course could be corrected.)

That parking garage would have come in handy on my last layout, where I scratch built a similar structure from styrene.  The others are two city stores and two warehouse or factory looking stuff.

Well, we can't complain no one is doing new stuff in N. I am looking for ways to incorporate one into my layout just to support them for supporting N.  Given I need fewer structures than on my last urban layout, and saved most of those, it will be hard, but I may be able to do it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:04:25 PM by GaryHinshaw »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Thoughts on Bachmann New False Front Structures?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 11:33:40 AM »
Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=265_962

Insert the usual comments about Bachmann's MSRP versus street prices.

These are pretty cool, actually. Certainly capture that small downtown feel. I'd replace the signage, at minimum, but its my bias you want to do that anyway to make it "yours".

If the picture on their site is accurate, the parking structure is definitely a candidate for repaint. Where'd that speckled finish come from? Certainly doesn't depict any concrete I'm aware of.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 01:38:20 PM »
Where'd that speckled finish come from? Certainly doesn't depict any concrete I'm aware of.

I think that is called artistic licence  :D  Some worker in China wanted them to look visually interesting.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
I thought they were going for that pebble in stucco look that was popular in the 80's.

For that money you can get two of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parking-Garage-Blue-Car-Park-Aoshima-92538-1-150-N-scale-/361119646762?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item541468842a
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
It wouldn't be hard to convert the store fronts to 3-D buildings.  Many such buildings have concrete block side and rear walls, so one wouldn't have to match the fronts.
N Kalanaga
Be well

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 03:08:18 PM »
seems to me, if memory serves me well enough, these fronts are a tad more expensive than DPM (I suppose they are WS now) and Walthers Cornerstone complete structures. that would mean you could buy a complete structure from the later two companies and covert each into 4 fronts. math does not look good to my wallet.

just my opinion...
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »
I think that the point Mike was making is that the speckled surface is way out of scale.  If the "terrazzo" type of surface was reduced down to N scale, the texture would be so fine, it would be almost invisible.
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 05:55:33 PM »
I think that the point Mike was making is that the speckled surface is way out of scale.  If the "terrazzo" type of surface was reduced down to N scale, the texture would be so fine, it would be almost invisible.

Yes. If it was supposed to be a terrazzo effect then they really missed. Also, I've rarely run across a parking structure in this strictly functional configuration that wasn't plain-ol' gray concrete.

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
Ridiculously expensive for a quarter of a building.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 02:20:58 AM »
Gary:  Very true, although I don't think the sides of most DPM/WS would make very good flats.  It would be more like two for the price of one.

I was thinking more of someone who actually LIKED the Bachmann building, but wanted a full structure.  Buying them just to fill the downtown wouldn't be cost effective.

Several of my buildings are fronts built years ago, before I had room for a town, with sides and rears added after the layout was planned and space allocated.  Much easier that way, as the building can be made to fit the depth available, and it doesn't take as much room to store the fronts.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
The parking garage I saw wasn't quite as obvious as the one in the pic.  Funny, but I usually dust my concrete structures with some grimy black from a can to achieve a similar look and think it looks great.  If it gets to grainy, I simply dust again with concrete to soften the look to my eye.

As to cost, yes, but Walthers has shot through the roof on structures, too.  Given how few layouts actually get to scenery, I suspect there aren't enough sold to spread out the cost.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
I got the newest Woodland Scenics bar/pub building and it is approximately 1.5 million times better looking than these. Plus it's a whole building with interior for $40.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
I got the newest Woodland Scenics bar/pub building and it is approximately 1.5 million times better looking than these. Plus it's a whole building with interior for $40.

Ha, yeah if Woodland Scenics can scoreboard you in the pricing department, you've got problems.   :scared:  :facepalm:  :trollface:
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
I try not to think about them.

Over priced for sure. Haven't seen on in person to tell anything about detail quality.

Only one I would possibly consider would be the parking garage.
Peter Pfotenhauer