Author Topic: BNSF Decatur Hill  (Read 4869 times)

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +484
Re: BNSF Decatur Hill
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 06:21:22 PM »
Nice start! It reminds me a little bit of that old  MR project layout that was a California layout, can't recall the name right now; they had a shortline with a SP 2-6-0 and it had a town side and ran out to some kind of mine (So descriptive, right?) Anyways, looking forward to seeing the progress
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »
I don't recall that one, but admittedly I do go extended periods without checking in on MR.  If anything, it was inspired by Chuck Geiger's Front Range Subdivision here on Railwire.   This one is based on a very specific area in North Texas between Bowie and Decatur.   Bowie is the actual town side, and the graphite plant is situated on the edge of town coming into Decatur, after climbing Decatur Hill, which was a helper district on the BNSF until very recently.  (now...since about 2010 or so it seems they just run 2+2 on all trains, nullifying the need)   The actual distance is about 28 miles I think, but the hill part is only about 10 miles maybe.  But it's somewhat scenic....about as scenic as it gets around here.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:47:08 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »
.   So yes, I'm a master at taking a simple layout and making it overly complicated.   But I'm learning in the process...some of it will carry forward, some ideas will get bashed in the head.

If you made it too simple you'd already be done and what's the fun in that?  And actually, after spending most of the 90's fretting about what might work or what might not, I realize that I could have made far more progress if I'd just kept trying ideas and discarding the bad ones.  As for the layout, I like it - and not just because I live in Decatur! 

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »
The Dawg gettin' busy
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com