Author Topic: CN RDC? Huh? What is it, really, guys?  (Read 873 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
CN RDC? Huh? What is it, really, guys?
« on: December 07, 2014, 12:02:49 AM »
I setup the railcam a few days ago to grab a frame every 10 seconds and upload to a server. So a couple of times a day I scan through the clips to count traffic and see if anything interesting passed by. Here's today's really interesting grab:

Looks all the world like an RDC... maybe it was at one time... but what the heck is it? I'm guessing a self-propelled geometry car. Certainly was a shocker to see it, though.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
Re: CN RDC? Huh? What is it, really, guys?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 01:05:43 AM »
Transport for MOW crews to remote locations?  Leave the MOW equipment there, and haul the crews home for weekends, then back again?
N Kalanaga
Be well

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 02:03:42 AM »
I'd say that nails it.  Definitely the same cars.
N Kalanaga
Be well

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:05:08 AM »
Thanks, Gary. Yup. That's it. From the close-ups I was better able to spot the logos, satellite dome and window blanking in the frame grab. They must have been scooting down the track at a really good clip - 40-50 mph - since it was in only that one frame.

Other geometry cars are immediately obvious as to what they are - NS's and UP's, for instance - and don't move about the RRs by themselves. Don't know the story behind NS's (is it self-powered, or not?), but a few years ago UP had a big row between the engineering and operating departments, and now can't move theirs without a train and full crew.