Author Topic: MicroAce A8407 4-6-2 Pashina loco mini-review  (Read 1693 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2528
    • Coming (not so) soon...
MicroAce A8407 4-6-2 Pashina loco mini-review
« on: December 06, 2014, 02:52:31 AM »
MicroAce Pashina 4-6-2 loco mini-review (and dimensions)

I was asked to provide the basic dimensions of this model. Once I dug it out of my stash I decided to do a mini review of it ( @spookshow - if you ever decide to include reviews of Japanese steam loco models, feel free to use the text and photos in this post).

I'm not sure why I thought this was a crappy model. I bought it in 2010 and after a quick examination I put it away. Maybe I also had another (crappy running) model on my workbench at the same time and somehow I got them mixed up.  Anyway, this model is quite nice after all!

Info about the 1:1 loco (translated by Ebi from the A-board):

Total weight : 203.31 ton
Total weight on drivers : 23.94 ton
Tractive force: 15.85 ton
Driver diameter : 2,000 mm, 12.5 mm if 1:160, 13.3 mm if 1:150, model= 13.3 mm
Max speeds : 130 km/hr
(Max width: 3,362 mm, 21.0 mm if 1:160, 22.4 mm if 1:150, model=21.7 mm)

The above dimensions are the same for prod #A8407( light grey) and #A8406 ( skyblue).

The written engine history for #A8407 (light grey).

This engine was built on Nov. 01 1934 for the super express passenger train named "Asia" for Manchurian RR.
This is the seventh pacific and called PASHINA.
(My note: PASHI comes from pacific and NA comes from Nana which means seven.)
It has 2,000 mm drivers, its total length is 25.6 m and was the biggest engine in the Orient.
It was totally covered by the stream-lined shroud including the tender and the max speeds were 120 km/hr at their profit run.
In 1936, Pashina 981 was built at Kawasaki - Sharyou in Japan.
The change as a result of the wind tunnel experiment was applied to its stream-lined shroud.
It was called as Helmet from the shape of its unique shape.

The scale of the model is not stated anywhere on the box, but Ebi's writeup shows implies that it is 1:150.  Compared to regular 1:160 scale models of steam locos it is a rather large model.  It has photoetched siderods and see-through driver spokes.

The loco shell can be lifted off after loosening 2 screws in the nose (under the front wheels of the leading truck).

The mechanism is fully enclosed in a split-frame chassis.  It is quite heavy. The loco weights 4.57 oz. and the tender comes in at 2.06 oz.

Most of the tender is filled with a large die-cast weight.  It also contains pickup strips for both tender trucks.

The drawbar electrically connects the tender with the loco's split chassis.

The truck side frames are different from the standard American trucks.  Tender truck's wheel diameter at the thread is 0.239", flange 0.026".  Truck's wheelbase is 0.498".

Power is picked up from all 4 wheels from a flange in the back of the wheels.

The loco's running gear is designed well.  It can be easily disassembled.

2 screws hold the bottom cover plate which retains the drivers and the leading and trailing trucks.

Here is a photo with the leading and trailing truck removed and the cover back on.  The cylinder assembly is held by a single screw.  The valve gear hangers are press fit into the sides of the frame and are easily removed.  Once that is done, the drivers and valve gear can be removed as a single assembly.

That leaves the frame with the motor and gears.

To disassemble the frame, remove the light bulb (it pulls out from the front) and the gray plastic piece under the light bulb (1 screw).  Then remove 2 screws holding the frame halves together.  The motor stays attached to the right frame half.

The 5-pole skew-wound motor is held in the right frame half by a plastic retainer which can be removed by pulling it out of the frame (towards the rear).

The motor is coupled with the worm shaft using a flexible silicone tubing instead of a universal joint. This is similar to the method used on many brass models.  The worm shaft bearings are high quality spherical shape brass inserts in a plastic housing.

Photos of the drivers and valve gear removed from the model.

The wheels feature a design similar to Kato Mikado (2nd run) or the GS-4:  The wheel centers could be replaced without affecting the integrity of the wheel.  This model uses 4mm square driver bearings. I wasn't able to measure the driver axle diameter but I estimate it to be 2.5mm in diameter.

The 2 rear drivers are gear-driven and the front driver is driven by the siderods.  The rear driver has traction tires.

The crankpins are press-fitted into the wheels. But I noticed on couple of wheels that the wheel centers were cracked at the crankpin location.

Details of the rear truck. The frame is plastic and both wheels are insulated from the axle.

Details of the front truck. Only one side of the wheel sets is insulated from the axle and the frame is metal.  It also connects to the right frame half so make sure to properly reassemble the front truck to prevent shorts.  Adding a more solid connection (a spring maybe) between the truck frame and the right chassis frame would improve the electrical pickup (from the right side rail only).

Here are the major dimensions.

The headlight is a simple 12V light bulb which is on in both directions (non-directional).

I test ran this loco pulling a 7-car passenger train on a NTRAK layout for couple of hours.  It runs well. It is quiet and has a good slow speed. The top speed seems a bit high, but that shouldn't be a problem.  It ran with no derailments even though (as usual) the trackwork wasn't perfect (large gaps at the connecting tracks between modules).  None of the crankpins came out from the cracked holes.  I did not measure its pulling ability but with it being so heavy and with the traction tires it should be a very good puller. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:09:50 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +782
Re: MicroAce A8407 4-6-2 Pashina loco mini-review
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 12:46:54 PM »
Nice writeup Peteski, thank you!
Otto K.

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
good review.

well done, 
now I have to re-read and digest.

victor

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »
       I almost ordered one of these through a shop in OZ( Australia ) whose owner made frequent trips to Japan and would order you Japan only Items. I knew the locomotive was Chinese (Manchurian) loco. Now I' am kind of sorry I didn't order one. Thanks for the nice review. Nate Goodman (Nato).

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +695
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
Fantastic product photography!  I honestly didn't read the review though... ;)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +795
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »
I really like the design - almost a Hiawatha-esque shape to it with a "boss" tender.  Why no flywheel?

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »
I really like the design - almost a Hiawatha-esque shape to it with a "boss" tender.  Why no flywheel?

Yes it almost looks American enough to pass for a couple different locos .  Wonder what it would look like in C & O colors...........

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +121
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »

Yes it almost looks American enough to pass for a couple different locos .  Wonder what it would look like in C & O colors...........

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.  Thanks for the review, Peteski.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
Great review of what appears to be a very nice model.

You state that at 1:150,it's quite large. Would you consider taking a photo of it next to a 1:160 steamer? Just for a comparison....

Mark in Oregon

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2528
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »
Here you go.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:12:38 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »
Thanks...I see what you mean...

Mark in Oregon

TVRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »
Old thread but I was wondering what shells from K4's or other Pacifics might fit this mechanism, I wanna new Pacific badly.

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »
well,

you may want to hunt for a kato c55...
it has 80 inch spoked drivers. good under a k4 shell.

after that.... I am not sure of the possible combos.
I have been re-motoring the old A/RR pacifics...
when the frame is sound.

victor

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »
Wow, one of the most thorough reviews I've ever seen! 8)