Author Topic: DCC Wiring Help - Still Need some help.  (Read 3056 times)

StewRRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
DCC Wiring Help - Still Need some help.
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Thanks in advance.

I have added to my layout and cannot figure out the reversing loops and where to insert the AR's.  Utilizing a Digitrax system with Kato Unitrack.  Insulators are installed at location A & B.  To the left of A & B are two yards and end at a point.  No issues here.  Sections defined by Switch 1 & 2 are a clear reversing loop and will need an AR.  At Location B, there is a "Y" .  Location B trips the AR-1 and the breaker.  Cannot get it to set without breaking.

What am I missing here.  Issue between 4 & 3.  Something else.  Thanks. - Ross

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:52:22 PM by StewRRFan »

StewRRFan

• Crew
Re: DCC Wiring Help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »
Cant figure out how to edit this.  Wiring diagram.

http://www.jrj-photos.com/-/jrj-photos/gallery.asp?cat=96676&pID=1&row=15
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:04:20 PM by StewRRFan »

StewRRFan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »
Wiring Diagram

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »
 The reverse loop is clockwise between #7 and #4 Isolate that trackage from the rest of the layout and power it through your autoreverser. I see only one reverse loop.
Actually the only real reversing section is between 3 and 4 but the larger section between 7 and 4 will allow for longer trains.

Martin Myers
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:01:40 AM by mmyers »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 10:18:40 AM »
I actually see three routes for potential reverse loops:

1) From B through 5, 7, 2, 1, 3, 4, and back to B;
2) From B through 4, 7, 2, 1, 3, and back to 4; and
3) From 3 through 1, 2, and back to 1.

Obviously, the 1-2 reverse loop is easy to see and deal with.  I'll leave it to the electrical pros to sort out the best way to set up for a reversing section(s) for the other loops (maybe two separate reversing sections between 5-7 and 4-3?).

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 09:59:44 PM »
Agree with Davefoxx.  To solve the first two of his examples, create a bus to power the route from 7 around to 4, and power it through a reverser, with both rails isolated at both ends.

Now comes the tricky part, Davefoxx's third example.  It is a reversing loop within the larger reversing loop.  Isolate both ends of that track with rail joiners on both rails, then create a bus or an isolate set of feeders since it is short.  Power this track through a reverser, but take the input to this reverser from the output of the reverser on the above section.  You're trying to prevent a short circuit between these rails and the larger loop, not between these rails and the outer part of the layout.

Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »
OOPS!  There's a third exit from the first large reversing loop.  You also have to insulate both rails as they exit turnout #3.  So insulate there, and at #4 and #7.  Martin Myers said that, too, when he said isolate the route from #7 around to #4 clockwise from the rest of the layout.  The only thing he didn't cover was the small reverse loop in the lower left corner, within the larger loop.
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa

elnscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 12:47:09 AM »
Surely, there are only two reversing loops here: a) the track 1-2 on the inside of the mainline b) the track from 3-4. The proof of this is that if you were to cut (e.g. remove 6" from) those two tracks then you have no reversing loops at all.

Isolate those tracks both at ends so that they are totally isolated/disconnected/unpowered from the mainline loop.

For 1-2, you can put the auto-reverser at 1-2 on the outside (mainline) and then connected the switched output to the 1-2 isolated track on the inner track (reverse loop).
For 3-4, you can put the auto-reverser at 1-3 and then connect the switched output to the 3-4 isolated track.
Steve
Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
www.scrantonstation.com

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 02:29:36 AM »
Surely, there are only two reversing loops here: a) the track 1-2 on the inside of the mainline b) the track from 3-4. The proof of this is that if you were to cut (e.g. remove 6" from) those two tracks then you have no reversing loops at all.

This.

Like Steve said, take out 1-2 and 3-4 and there are no loops.  You can also redraw the plan into a straight diagram and it's shows clearly.

Jason

elnscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 07:40:14 AM »
Jason's diagram shows it much clearer.

In fact, with his diagram, you can actually see that this layout can be wired with just one reversing loop:

Isolate the track at 3 on 6-3; at 4 on 3-4, at 2 on 1-2 2-7 (mainline) and at 2 on 1-2 (inner loop).

I would not do that because the chance of having two trains entering (and/or leaving) the reversing loop at the same time is much higher since there are now four interfaces into the reversing loop, especially since the interface at 6-3 is well removed from 4 operationally. But if you are only having one train running at a time (e.g. just one operator), it would save you the cost of an auto reverser.

Nevertheless, you can see your options much better with Jason's depiction.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:15:54 AM by elnscale »
Steve
Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
www.scrantonstation.com

StewRRFan

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
Thank you for all the help.  I have not tried these as I have been traveling again.  One additional questions, with the Kato switches should the power routing be on or off?

Ross

StewRRFan

• Crew
Re: DCC Wiring Help - Still having issues
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 01:51:38 PM »
Thank you for your patience and help.

The issue I am having is the wiring of the AR1.  An updated diagram is attached.  Insulators are placed at the arrows.  Each section runs fine on its own.  When an engine goes over the lower insulators into the loop, no problem.  When leaving the loop at the top, it shorts out.  Have the AR-1 Wired in and it shuts down the booster.  What am I missing?

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
Re: DCC Wiring Help - Still Need some help.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »
Have you adjusted the AR1trip threshold so that it trips before the booster? There is a pot on the board to adjust it. see the AR1 instruction sheet.

StewRRFan

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
Yes I have tried the adjustments.  When that did not work, I installed another one just in case the first one was bad.  No luck. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 06:31:14 AM »
I looked over all the diagrams and my head is still spinning.  :|

StewRRFan: your diagram makes me dizzy - sorry.  I can't really wrap my head around it.
Jason's diagram (clearer)  does not show point A - I assume that it is on at the left side of the diagram (the bottom track).

there are2 reverse loops: 1-2 and 3-4.  Where does your latest diagram have the isolated reverse section? Could  you take Jason's diagram and  edit it to show where the reverse section is currently installed?
. . . 42 . . .