Author Topic: CSX Hanover Subdivision  (Read 67377 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +474
Re: CSX Hanover Subdivision
« Reply #660 on: January 01, 2019, 05:06:51 PM »
My head is spinning :D
Otto K.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
« Reply #661 on: January 01, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »
My head is spinning :D
Otto K.

Just rotate your monitor!  :D

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +123
« Reply #662 on: January 01, 2019, 08:22:31 PM »
Model building draws one in to model railroading.  Since our models move we can operate like the real thing, which sustain the interest, which leads to better model building and in turn, better ops.  Modelers who go into N scale without considering operations move to other scales in time.  Seen it happen time and again.

You are correct to give the Hanover sub a critical look from an operations standpoint.  If you're unsure what needs to change have an ops session or two.  It will become clear quickly.  How to remedy the issues will be a fun exercise in itself.  Two decks may well be the answer.

I recall your room having a high ceiling, no?  Consider Jim Hediger's picnic table leg solution to support the second deck.  He discusses it in the 85th anniv. MR and there is an online discussion in the "History According to Hediger" videos.  I always thought that was an ingenious way of stabilizing a second level without going to the ceiling for support.

Your modeling and layout at present are well done.  N scale holds many advantages for an ops oriented layout in the space you have available.  Take advantage of them.

Steve

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +712
« Reply #663 on: January 01, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
Model building draws one in to model railroading.  Since our models move we can operate like the real thing, which sustain the interest, which leads to better model building and in turn, better ops.  Modelers who go into N scale without considering operations move to other scales in time.  Seen it happen time and again.

You are correct to give the Hanover sub a critical look from an operations standpoint.  If you're unsure what needs to change have an ops session or two.  It will become clear quickly.  How to remedy the issues will be a fun exercise in itself.  Two decks may well be the answer.

I recall your room having a high ceiling, no?  Consider Jim Hediger's picnic table leg solution to support the second deck.  He discusses it in the 85th anniv. MR and there is an online discussion in the "History According to Hediger" videos.  I always thought that was an ingenious way of stabilizing a second level without going to the ceiling for support.

Yes, I'm in an unfinished basement, so the ceiling is high.  My friend and I already hatched out if this was feasible in the fall.  I collected some of the photos into an album on flickr. 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwc2uSx

Construction was held off due to upcoming open house events and a possible complete relocation to the garage if a certain home renovation project happened.  Well that plan never materialized and likely won't for at least another year or never, so now I'm back to the double decking plan. 

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +642
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #664 on: January 11, 2019, 07:25:36 PM »
Adam,
Don't get hung up in what you have invested in the current layout.  If there's certain elements that don't work for you, you either have to buck up and live with the work-around, or figure out how to design a correction.  If you can't do either of those things, you always have this option:

Although, I recommend stripping the track, electronics, and structures before you strike the match... :trollface:

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +712
« Reply #665 on: January 11, 2019, 09:16:07 PM »
Got some plywood at Lowes this evening.  That much closer to helix construction...

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #666 on: January 12, 2019, 10:04:30 PM »
I have a helix or two in my future. I have read some experiences in the past building these and a couple that struck me as very happy with the outcome used Kato unitrack on theirs. Have you considered this as a possibility?