Author Topic: CSX Hanover Subdivision  (Read 139411 times)

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +504
Re: CSX Hanover Subdivision
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2015, 01:05:29 PM »
Upon further reflection, if I'm going to waste my N scale funds on an HO loco, then I'll get something that I want to have on the shelf in my layout room, not what our buddy might want to see on his layout.   :P

I'm thinking the Atlas C425 in LA&L paint, since it is the current paint scheme of my home road.  Or perhaps a Heritage Unit...

<sigh>
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »
Upon further reflection, if I'm going to waste my N scale funds on an HO loco, then I'll get something that I want to have on the shelf in my layout room, not what our buddy might want to see on his layout.   :P

Heh, get a GG1.  Nothing beats switching on a friend's layout with a GG1.  Although I have been known to press 4449 into local service on his layout, too.   :P

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3160
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2015, 06:00:13 PM »

I'm thinking the Atlas C425 in LA&L paint, since it is the current paint scheme of my home road.  Or perhaps a Heritage Unit...

<sigh>

@R L Smith your local pusher has LA&L C425 #425 in stock :)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »
I've known Rick and Linda since I was a little kid. They're wonderful, wonderful people, and it's a treat every time I bump into them.

It's always a good day when I see Rick and Linda. They're two of the nicest people I've ever met.

I'm pretty sure that they were the first N-scalers other than myself that I had ever met. My mom and I had visited their layout when it was open for the local NMRA division meet. Of course, this was probably At least 7 years ago. The best part about that day was that I met god among men DKS. Only a week before that day, I had stumbled upon his various blogs while on a interwebz search for something N-scale related.
 Now I know how Catholics feel when they meet the Pope.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2015, 06:53:12 AM »

<sigh>

+1

I managed to get an Atlas N-Scale C420 LA&L #420 a few years ago.  I pine wistfully over the Bowser HO ALCos in LA&L and WNY&P paint.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
+1
What a better way to spend Thanksgiving morning than some ballast work at Emory Grove.  I used straight WS light grey for the CSX main line, and mixed in some cinders on the MMID trackage. 

20151126_083648 by Adam Henry, on Flickr

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5521
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2015, 02:18:03 PM »
+1
You make it sound like CSX still uses ballast on that line!

The Midland on the other hand, looks pretty good...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2015, 03:32:31 PM »
I'm working with the notion it is summer of 2009, weeks after the CSX Trackdogs came thru the subdivision replacing ties and reballasting.  :D

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/mu26aeh/slideshow/CSX%20Trackdogs?sort=3

I only wish I had a better camera, or had taken better shots when they were in town....  :facepalm:

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »
I've gotten a lot of the ballasting done on the sub since my last post.  Hoping to get some time this weekend to vacuum up lose material and get some pictures.  In mean time, I finally got to setting up the HO around the Christmas tree tonight.  I figured it would give me a chance to run the SD40-2 I got a few weeks ago on more than a 2 foot section of straight track.  I wish I wouldn't have done that now.  It's a DCC equipped loco on a DC loop of track, I put it on track and it made two loops, derailed on a curve, front truck shorted out across the two rails and I smoked the damn decoder  :facepalm: :facepalm: :x  So off to MBK website to order replacement.  While looking around, I figured I can't just order a single decoder, so much wasted space in that USPS small flat rate box.  I have an Atlas MP15 for Hagerstown yard, but sometimes if I pull an entire string of cars, it would be nice to have a second switcher.  Seeing there are no MP15's to be had, I thought about the MT SW1500.  They had a few Conrail units left in stock.  A quick check of rrpicturearchives.net showed a handful of CR units with CSX patches, so I decided to add one to the fleet.  Of course this meant another decoder (damn, I was so close to being 100% decoderized) .  So something else to photograph too  :D  Of course that is if all the CR crowd doesn't run me out of town for patching said unit. 

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2015, 11:18:17 PM »
I've gotten a lot of the ballasting done on the sub since my last post.  Hoping to get some time this weekend to vacuum up lose material and get some pictures.  In mean time, I finally got to setting up the HO around the Christmas tree tonight.  I figured it would give me a chance to run the SD40-2 I got a few weeks ago on more than a 2 foot section of straight track.  I wish I wouldn't have done that now.  It's a DCC equipped loco on a DC loop of track, I put it on track and it made two loops, derailed on a curve, front truck shorted out across the two rails and I smoked the damn decoder  :facepalm: :facepalm: :x  So off to MBK website to order replacement.  While looking around, I figured I can't just order a single decoder, so much wasted space in that USPS small flat rate box.  I have an Atlas MP15 for Hagerstown yard, but sometimes if I pull an entire string of cars, it would be nice to have a second switcher.  Seeing there are no MP15's to be had, I thought about the MT SW1500.  They had a few Conrail units left in stock.  A quick check of rrpicturearchives.net showed a handful of CR units with CSX patches, so I decided to add one to the fleet.  Of course this meant another decoder (damn, I was so close to being 100% decoderized) .  So something else to photograph too  :D  Of course that is if all the CR crowd doesn't run me out of town for patching said unit.

Your road bought there's, so who ran whom out of town?

Nothing like letting the magic smoke out.

Peter Pfotenhauer

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8140
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2015, 08:44:51 AM »
+1
Nice!

And dude, remember, when putting that decoder into the SW1500, kapton tape EVERYWHERE!!!

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »
I got a notice the other day that the Hanover Sub had money sitting in rainy day fund (PayPal account), so of course we couldn't let it sit there. The railroad made a purchase of a MT SW1500 in Conrail colors. After taking it into the shop and discovering major electrical issues (faulty board from Digitrax) we switched suppliers (got a TCS board) and the engine fired right up ! This unit will be patched somewhere into the 1069-1099 range. #9594 in real life actually went to NS in the split, along with #9590, the other number that MT produced.

20151226_160955 by Adam Henry, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:18:37 PM by mu26aeh »

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »
Updated to show new power is riding the rails.  Also getting my HO unit figured out from a gentleman from Australia walking me thru JMRI to get the lighting effects the way I want them.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »
Liking the look of the ballast under those switchers.
Peter Pfotenhauer

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2015, 10:10:06 PM »
Liking the look of the ballast under those switchers.

Hopefully sometime this week I plan on getting the airbrush out and dirtying up the yard.  Just too clean.  Still need 4 #8 Peco turnouts to finish the other end of yard, then I can finish ballast work in yard.