Author Topic: Bachmann 2-6-6-2 1st run needs tuning  (Read 4453 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
Re: Bachmann 2-6-6-2 1st run needs tuning
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »
You can order a NWSL Puller directly from them.

https://shop.osorail.com/category.sc?categoryId=65   
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 06:55:37 PM »
Also be aware, you may need to also buy some extra Precision Press Tools.    The basic puller only has two push bolts and sometimes, even the smaller one, at 1.5mm, is too large for the axles of an N Scale steam locomotive.  The Precision Press Tools are offered in 1.2mm and 1.0mm sizes.  I would get the extra 1.2mm which should cover you for all cases.

Another option is to buy some long (about 3") 10-32 bolts and machine down the ends of them to make whatever diameter press pins you need.   They must be 10-32, which is an extra fine thread.  And you should try to get the hardest bolts you can find - Grade 5 or Grade 8.  The standard "soft steel" stuff they sell in hardware stores will work and it's easier to machine, but it doesn't hold up.  The tips will bend and break if you push anything hard.)

I don't remember what the hole diameter is in a 2-6-6-2 driver.  If it's 1.5mm or larger, then you won't need the extra press tools.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »
Also be aware, you may need to also buy some extra Precision Press Tools.    The basic puller only has two push bolts and sometimes, even the smaller one, at 1.5mm, is too large for the axles of an N Scale steam locomotive.  The Precision Press Tools are offered in 1.2mm and 1.0mm sizes.  I would get the extra 1.2mm which should cover you for all cases.

Another option is to buy some long (about 3") 10-32 bolts and machine down the ends of them to make whatever diameter press pins you need.   They must be 10-32, which is an extra fine thread.  And you should try to get the hardest bolts you can find - Grade 5 or Grade 8.  The standard "soft steel" stuff they sell in hardware stores will work and it's easier to machine, but it doesn't hold up.  The tips will bend and break if you push anything hard.)

I don't remember what the hole diameter is in a 2-6-6-2 driver.  If it's 1.5mm or larger, then you won't need the extra press tools.

Thanks - I already have those extra tools for my puller.  It's not my first time regauging wheels, just my first time on a steam drivers.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 09:49:17 PM »
Where can I get one of those pullers?

Craig

It is a Mascot brand puller.  I got mine from a tools dealer at the Springfield show several years ago.  More info is in my SW1 thread around this Post.  It has a fixed 1.5mm diameter ram which I yanked out and ground down to slightly under 1mm (so I can press 1mm and 1.5mm shafts).
. . . 42 . . .