Author Topic: Looking for a little help re shell swapping  (Read 13058 times)

gbcaboose

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
Re: Looking for a little help re shell swapping
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2018, 08:29:44 PM »
Earlier in this thread it's mentioned that an Atlas RS1 shell would fit on a Kato RS2 chassis. I've tried putting Atlas RS1 shells (made in Japan and made in China) along with a Chinese made RS3 shell on  Kato RS2 and Walthers RS2 chassis and they do not fit. Even if you removed the part of the frame that fills the cab area and remove the 4 'nubs', both of the RS2 chassis are wider than the Atlas shells. You could sand the entire length  both frame halves to make it narrower, but you risk having the flywheels protrude out of the frame and rub the inside of the shell.

If there's something I'm missing please chime in. I'd love to be able to fit some my Atlas RS1 and RS2 shells onto some DCC friendly frames.

In the picture, top to bottom, is a Kato Chassis that has been ground smooth, but still to wide for Atlas shells; A stock Wathers/LL chassis showing the how the frame extends into the cab area, and too wide; 2 Atlas shells, Japanese and Chinese made; and a Kato shell, showing how the cab area is molded so it will fit over the frame.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Thanks,

Mike

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2018, 01:58:55 PM »
Hi Mike
Kato chassis over the years have been wider than most of the other quality chassis, so it may not work for this swap.  The original Atlas RS-1 was built with a Kato chassis, which may or may not have been wider than the later Atlas version.  I very much doubt the later Atlas shells differ in width to the earlier ones.  Also, an RS-1 has a 1' longer truck centre dimension than an RS-2/3.  Maybe not really a problem, but it does open up more possibilities for the RS-1 chassis.
Cheers
Steve

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »
I placed a Life Like E6A shell on a Kato mechanism.   It was not a perfect drop fit, but it was close.  You have to remember that the skirting is on the Life Like shell.  But the skirting is on the fuel tank on the Kato mechanism.

But yes, it works.

What do you do for the E6/7 fuel tanks on your Kato chassis?

SF Chief

• Respect: +6
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2019, 11:10:14 AM »
What do you do for the E6/7 fuel tanks on your Kato chassis?
Just take the Kato fuel tanks off the Kato chassis and place the LL body.  The LL body including fuel tanks will cover the Kato chassis appropriately.  Fits pretty close to perfectly.  Rick

SF Chief

• Respect: +6
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
Just take the Kato fuel tanks off the Kato chassis and place the LL body.  The LL body including fuel tanks will cover the Kato chassis appropriately.  Fits pretty close to perfectly.  Rick
Sorry, spoke/wrote too soon, before making a visual inspection.  Looking at my LL E6 body on my Kato E chassis, I left the Kato fuel tanks on.  It looks good, fits well.  Rick

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2019, 11:46:18 AM »

The B-mann GP-7 shell will go onto the Atlas GP-7/GP-9 power chassis of Chinese manufacture.

I'm guessing it works for either the non-dcc ready chassis as well as the dcc ready chassis as well.
Are there any modifications to be made or just slap it on the chassis and go? This is giving me ideas.
thanks

TrinityJayOne

• Respect: 0
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2019, 05:41:16 AM »
As is usual, I am late to this party. I read Ryan's comments above regarding An Atlas SD7/9 newer shells not fitting the new SD35 mechanism. He stated not easily doable.

I have and old Atlas/KATO SD7/9 shell that I am wanting to put on my new SD35 mechanism. I have measured and it seems it will work, I have slipped the sill and shell over the mechanism and it seems they will fit. I am dealing with the loss of a brother, on Monday, so I have not gone any further with the project. Has anybody else attempted this conversion?

Thanks in advance and as always, have fun,
Carl

Carl my good man! Any updates on your shell swapping shenanigans? I'm in a similar position- just bought a few of these new Atlas SD35s in the hope that I can breath new life into a couple of old SD9s. I'm not too concerned about switching over trucks or the fuel tank as such inaccuracies don't phase me, I just want the shell to fit properly and have the wheelbase be good enough that it doesn't look silly.