Author Topic: Digitax SE8C or RR CirKits SignalMan?  (Read 2125 times)

rsed780

• Respect: 0
Digitax SE8C or RR CirKits SignalMan?
« on: November 09, 2014, 10:54:26 PM »
I am planning to signal my moderate size layout. I am using RR CirKits BOD8 with coils for detection but wondering about signal control. I am not wanting to computer control of the layout, I know I need it to control the signals but not wanting it to run the whole layout.

So what is the advantage of one over the other? I am running DCC with Digitrax command station in Nscale.

Thank you for any and all responses.

Robert

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Re: Digitax SE8C or RR CirKits SignalMan?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »
Robert,
You will need a computer (probably JMRI) to receive the detection inputs and turnout status to then determine what the signal needs to display.
The computer does not need to "Run the trains" or force a train to stop at a red signal.. Thats the engineers job.

There is a bit of planing that needs to be done to make this all happen such as:
What signaling type - ABS, APB, CTC
Will there be a dispatcher
Are all main line turnouts managed or at least detected in terms of status?

Can you explain what you planing and how big the layout is.. We can then point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the wonderful world of signalling..!

Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

rsed780

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:07:31 AM »
Thank you Dennis,

First off this is a basement layout. It is U shaped, double mainline. 1 leg is 21'X13'(across the bottom of the U)X17'. All switchs are done by tortieses with Hares attached. There will be no dispatcher, After reading what the different style of signaling there is, it appears as though APB might be the style I am looking for. I will have instences when trains will crossover from one mainline to another to enter the yard or industrial areas. I know if I only have 2 trains running at one time it is easy to keep track of them, but I guess automatic breaking is something that would be a good thing when I have more than 2 going at the same time.

I know the Hares have automatic switch throwing but I am not using that. I want to keep it under my contral with pushbuttons on the facia.
I will be using JMRI for signal logic.

I hope that is enough info for now sense I really don't know what else you need. I have read all kinds of info but sometimes I read so much it just gets more confusing.  :?  :scared:

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +419
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
Robert, I'd advise you to go with the RR-cirkits especially if you are already using their system for detection. 

1) If you are just looking for signal driving hardware it will be much cheaper.
2) The rr-cirkits set of products is very flexible, allowing you to buy 8 or 16 or 64 of whatever you need at a time among detection, signalling, and turnout feedback.  You don't end up paying for features that you don't use.
3) It will be familiar to you, and I think their instructions are generally easier to figure out than Digitrax.

BTW I'm not sure if your Hares can be set up to do turnout feedback to JMRI for you, but that's something you should look into.  If they can do it then that's more hardware you don't have to buy.

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 11:43:09 PM »
Robert,
per the update from Jagged Ben, I think you may be best sticking with the devices from RR-Cirkits.

In terms of signaling, I think APB, ie automatic signal control if you just want the signals to fall to red as a train passes and then go back to green once it gets a few blocks down the track.
I think auto stoping a train is probably the next level and is a bit more complex.

I just checked re the Hare's from DCC Specialties. All the main line turnouts will need one of these or some other device. The best way to determine the status of a given turnout is to set them all to a known state when the panel in JRMI is turned on and then it can track the status from there on in. I do this but setting a route via a button on the panel on all turnouts to normal...

When looking at signalling, it is all in the planing.. Need to document and plan how it all hangs together so that when you create a panel with JMRI you know what devices or ports do each function.
Brendan Dennis

rsed780

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
Thank you Dennis and Jagged for your replies.

I was thinking all along about sticking with RR CirKits but just wasn't sure. Auto breaking would be neat to have because I do have a 21' tunnel that if I have a derailment in I donot have another train plow into it. I guess I will have to figure out how that option works and how to set it up.

Once again thank you.

Robert

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »
I've tried both options on my layout. Especially if you've already invested in the RRCir-Kits ecosystem, use them and not Digitrax. They are far more flexible and support flashing and dark aspects, which Digitrax does not. You may not need those features now, but it's nice to know that the support is there, so it's just a matter of reprogramming if you decide you do want to do something like approach signalling down the road.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »
I love rr-crkts .. my only caution -- It's a small operation ..

bdennis

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
I've tried both options on my layout. Especially if you've already invested in the RRCir-Kits ecosystem, use them and not Digitrax. They are far more flexible and support flashing and dark aspects, which Digitrax does not. You may not need those features now, but it's nice to know that the support is there, so it's just a matter of reprogramming if you decide you do want to do something like approach signalling down the road.

Just a quick correction.
The Digitrax SE8C does support both Dark and flashing. If the SE8C is set up to have a 4th aspect as dark, then it can do Dark and then JMRI can be set up to drive the flashing aspects. I installed a new SE8C last night for a friend and proved that both of these functions work.

In terms of RR-Cirkits support and the suggestion of a small operation. While Dick does run a small operation, his level of support is seoncd to none in my view. He is very helpful and is always ready to help.. Even with products that are 3 or 4 years old..

I use both Digitrax, RR-Cirkits, DCC Specialties, Team Digital products amongst others and they are all great, but for support, RR-Cirkts is the best.. (no Im not paid by any of the above..)
Brendan Dennis

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »

In terms of RR-Cirkits support and the suggestion of a small operation. While Dick does run a small operation, his level of support is seoncd to none in my view. He is very helpful and is always ready to help.. Even with products that are 3 or 4 years old..

I didn't say they weren't good for support .. I have lots of his products, and received great support in the past, even to the point where he reworked the old BODs .. but when will he retire ?  and who takes over when he does.