Author Topic: New Athearn Reefers With Sound  (Read 4547 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: New Athearn Reefers With Sound
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2014, 12:11:33 PM »
I guess I need to qualify...I'm not even 100% sure I'm "in" on this freight car sound thing.  I'm warming up to loco sound now, but I'm far from it being a must have...yet.   Back to freight cars, I just ordered four of the Athearn cars WITHOUT.   But I'm intrigued, and part of me figured something like SoundCar would be here soon...just didn't know how soon.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
I have some sound equipped ice reefers.

They are pretty nice.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »
I have some sound equipped ice reefers.

They are pretty nice.

Oh, I forgot.  Here is the sound trak for them    :P

/>
 :trollface:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:03:08 AM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
Ron,

What the hell, man?  This was advertised as one hour!  I tried to enjoy the dripping water to go to sleep, but it cut out after fifty-eight minutes.  This is bull****!  You owe me two minutes of dripping water.   ;)

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »
a billion crickets?!?!
how did they fit a billion crickets in a car that size???
amazing!!! must be mating season or something too!!!

but I do not see the Moses and Pharaoh RR???
oh, sorry, that was the locust one...
 :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:47:29 PM by glakedylan »
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 12:33:42 AM »
A billion crickets?

Crickets come in various sizes.  Most of them I see are probably about a quarter of a cubic inch.  Allowing room to move their legs, figure two to a cubic inch.  That would be about 3400 per cubic foot.  The Athearn car (early FGCX) is stenciled 4170 CF.  That would hold about 14.7 million crickets, loose.  Say 12 million to allow them a little more room.  You'd need a long train to hold a billion, but even one car would make a racket.

As for why, most pet stores that sell reptiles also sell crickets, as snake and lizard food.  They're sold live, and have to be bred somewhere, so why not a reefer full of crickets.  No worse than trucking honeybees, which is done all the time,  For all I know bees may have been shipped by rail in the past.  I'm not so sure of crickets.

As for the dripping water, I'm not even going to listen to that.  I've had enough faucets do that live.  But why would anyone bother recording an hour of it?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:36:11 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 10:29:49 AM »
Found this gem (in the n-scale category, no less) and thought y'all could have some fun with it, photoshop-wise.   :trollface:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tyco-902-Box-Car-With-Chug-Chug-Sound-Baby-Ruth-/331372130241?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4d27516fc1

Heh, I had that stupid car. It had a rolling drum inside (full of magic sound beads) that touched the rails, and as the car moved, the drum turned and you were transported to trainland. If a train sounds like maracas, Tyco nailed it  :facepalm: