Author Topic: CABOOSE TRUCKS  (Read 1306 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
CABOOSE TRUCKS
« on: November 09, 2014, 07:19:10 PM »
For those who want to electrify your MT cabeese, KATO has their caboose trucks back in stock.

Carl
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:13:29 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
    • Maxcow Online
Re: CABOOSE TRUCKS
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:57:38 PM »
You mean  steam locomotive kitbashing tender trucks    don't you?     ;)

Just bought my pile of them.   Let the feeding frenzy ensue!

And THANK YOU for announcing this.  I would not have caught them before they were all sold out
(which will be about 8 seconds from now).

I do use Bachmann/Spectrum trucks when they are the only things to be had.  But the Kato
wheels and bronze pickup cups are superior and I would much rather use them.   You can always file and glue
other sideframes on the outside if you don't like the look of the caboose trucks.  And GHQ makes
sideframes for PRR (the L1 kit) and NP/SPS (the W-3 kit) which you can get from Republic Locomotive Works.

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:16:14 PM »
Are these Kato part # 800461? 

Thanks,
Scott

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »

Scott - that be the ones.

Max - I never thought about using them for tender trucks but for sure they are most likely the best bet for bashing. However, I do like to light up the cabeeses too. Hope this really did help you.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has tried to turn down the wheel flanges on these trucks or the Kato Mikado's tender wheels? As is they should run fine on C55, but I tried them (Mike tender trucks/wheels) and they "bump" going over ME Code 40 flex. Thanks in advance!
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 02:04:58 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has tried to turn down the wheel flanges on these trucks or the Kato Mikado's tender wheels? As is they should run fine on C55, but I tried them (Mike tender trucks/wheels) and they "bump" going over ME Code 40 flex. Thanks in advance!

I have not actually done it... but... since they each have a half-axle in them and push together over an insulated
center, the should be easier to do than most.  You could probably just pull them apart, chuck the little axle in a Dremel,
and hold a file on the flange.  The usual cautions apply: go slow so you don't bend or deform it, angle it at a 45 degree
on both sides as you get close to the diameter you want, and then polish over it with something like 800 grid sandpaper so you
get a smooth flange with no file scoring in it and you get rid of any "knife edge" on the flange.

I have done Trix K4 pilot wheels that way, so I can't see how these would be much different.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1333
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 01:29:38 AM »
I've never tried a Kato locomotive, but have done their passenger car wheels the same way, and it worked fine.
N Kalanaga
Be well