Author Topic: Millvale, PA Diorama  (Read 8937 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
Re: Millvale, PA Diorama
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 09:28:43 PM »
The last bit of finish work, especially the white washes, really made it pop.  It looks great.

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1199
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 02:48:33 PM »
The cycle of prototype photo--build model--photo model--critique compared to prototype (rinse-repeat) is working out well.   
Also nice that the material cost is basically zero.   

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »
Nice work indeed. The exposed foam cells beautifully looks like spalling concrete. Did you plan that? Or was it a fortunate accident?

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »
The exposed foam cells beautifully looks like spalling concrete. Did you plan that? Or was it a fortunate accident?

Actually I hoped it would look like that but had no idea it would work out as well as it did.  See  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=35252.0

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »
I saw the pics of the T scale ballast in the weekend update thread.

I don't like it. It's too translucent and looks like salt.

Have you thought about grout?
http://conrail1285.com/n-scale-ballast-using-sanded-grout/

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 12:01:14 PM »
I saw the pics of the T scale ballast in the weekend update thread.

I don't like it. It's too translucent and looks like salt.

Have you thought about grout?
http://conrail1285.com/n-scale-ballast-using-sanded-grout/
I agree Ed, I noticed that "glassy" look too in the pics.  I'd like to try grout but I'm only doing this one diorama for now.  But maybe a box or two of grout in-hand will serve me well when the other parts of the lay... I mean other dioramas start construction. 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
What era are you looking to recreate?

Post up the photo of the look of the ballast you want. I've got a decent palette of the stuff, and can probably mix up enough for what you'll need for the diorama.

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Ed, that would be great. There are a couple shades involved as you can see in this photo under "full bright sun".  The CR (Conemaugh) is a darker blend than the Chessie/B&O.  I could possibly try use the T-gauge stuff on the B&O (or mix) since it's lighter, and a "Conrail" blend on the Conemaugh trackage.   

Let me know via PM and I'll be glad to send you reimbursement for cost/shipping.   I'd probably just need a sandwich bag size of each. 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »
Cool.

The Chessie side actually looks pretty close to my NCR mix:

I'll come up with something slightly darker for the Conemaugh line.

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »
Cool.

The Chessie side actually looks pretty close to my NCR mix:

I'll come up with something slightly darker for the Conemaugh line.

Wow--close..  spot on is more like it.  Looks good.

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »
Optimizing the sequence of construction is really a challenge. 

Since the underpass had to go in place before the P&W Sub main could be laid.. the underpass had to be constructed.  Since the road couldn't be done easily with the underpass in situ, the road had to be done.  Since the road had to be done, the crossing of the Conemaugh had to be done.  Since the crossing of the Conemaugh had to be done, the 4 track ex-PRR main had to be constructed.   

Anyway, remembering these lessons was one of the reasons I did this project.  And so far really enjoying it.

The road in place was made of more drywall compound spread with a carved up old credit card.  The timbers on the crossing (Micro Engineering pre-stained switch ties) were put in place prior to slathering on the drywall, with the rails/gaps covered with thin strips of tape. 

That notwithstanding, some got in there but easily removed with a toothpick and the later washes of gray/black to weather the road.  The road was painted a black/reefer white mixture with a few drops of blue and brown added.  Asphalt has a slightly more blue tint (due to the petroleum content) than concrete and I wanted to capture this.

Next in line is the P&W trackage I think... while I wait on a supply of ballast from Ed!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:13:18 PM by Jesse6669 »

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 10:16:18 AM »
I wasn't quite satisfied after looking at the pictures.. you can see some of the crossties through the "pavement" which really wouldn't have been visible--there are crossing timbers underneath the asphalt I believe.  Anyway, did some patching and really had to tap-dance to get the weathered look back after the patches. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Jesse6669

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 05:12:07 PM »
Some progress as time has permitted on the diorama.  The Willow Grove tracks are down, and the underpass is set permanently in place on the road.  The river-side of the road has some "end of road/gravel/dirt " made with washes of dirt/tan color.  Soon the B&O main and sidings will be laid and then ballasting, so I've been concerned with picking the best ballast.   I tried some t-gauge ballast and some highball product and then the sanded grout formulas a la Ed Kapuscinski.  After some tests, I'm a grout believer.   I got two mixes from Ed, a lighter one--intended for the Chessie mainlines, and a darker one for the CR lines.   
I felt the dark was a tad too dark, so I mixed up some (roughly) 50/50 and I think the middle mix will be used on the CR main.  The grout mixture really handles well, and stays in place better (even without a mist of wetting solution).  I just applied some thinned matte medium with a drop or two of dish soap in it from a dropper along the sides, and the capillary effect sucked it across--with nary a budge of the ballast from the surface tension. 

Another interesting development was that the MicroEngineering pre-weathered flex ended up with that "unused rail patina" on the railhead after ballasting.  Not sure if this is corrosion, some dust from the ballast--or other. In any event, the 2 sidings on the 4 track CR Conemaugh line were very rarely used and were rusted--which I will try to maintain on the diorama.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:41:16 AM by Jesse6669 »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2015, 11:02:24 PM »
I'm glad to see it in action. Good stuff! Can't wait to see the rest.

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
Great work on the overpass, among the best representation of deteriorated concrete I've seen.