Author Topic: Con Cor 53' containers with climate control units  (Read 3518 times)

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
Con Cor 53' containers with climate control units
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:00:58 AM »
Back in June of last year, I saw that the folks at Con-Cor were planning to re-release their smooth side 53' containers, so I sent off an email with a big barrel of suggested schemes and mentioned that they should think about providing exernally-mounted heaters as a detail part.

Late last year they released Bison, Canadian Tire, and CN schemes and I was a pretty happy camper.

Now they've really done it: Armour, Clarke, CN and Kleysen schemes complete with heaters! http://www.con-cor.com/N-53-Ft-Containers-with-Climate-Control-2014.html

Here are some of the links I sent to Con-Cor last year:

I'm a very happy camper (with a wallet that's wincing at the pain I'm about to inflict upon it - but hey, whaddya gonna do when a manufacturer does what you asked them to do?)

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
Re: Con Cor 53' containers with climate control units
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
Those are sweet, and when I went to check out the Con Cor site  I happen to notice they have HUB containers  :o  Needs a ton of them.

Anyone know who has any of those in stock?

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »
I would be an easy target for a lot of these, especially those road names.  However, I am reluctant to buy as these are the units with huge rivets on the side, correct?

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »
these are the units with huge rivets on the side, correct?

Yes.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:42:25 AM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »
Part of me wants to buy one to sand off the rivets and recast it for personal use, but it is probably not worth the hassle.  I'm thinking Digcom paper versions look good and will fill out my roster of 53' units. 

I really wish Deluxe Innovations could get rolling again.  Their tooling is great and we need more containers!   

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 12:16:37 AM »
A dog with a refrigerator is still just a cold dog.

Like 95% of their recent work, it's a half assed job at best. They should have tired that tooling years ago. Why spend the money to ad new ends on such an awful model?

Bad rivets, too wide, incomparable interconnects, a dubious prototype. Next.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »
I think what's worse is that they show pictures of prototypes that don't remotely match what the models will probably look like.  (Do they have new tooling?  I would like to think so but I highly doubt it.)

The only appropriate paint scheme for their tooling, AFAIK, is the white APL scheme.  Which is good if you're modeling the mid 90s. 

I did buy some of the Scheider versions because at least Schneider has some smooth side containers.  (Eventually if I can paint up my own replacements then they will get replaced.)   Can't say the same for Pacer, Hub, etc...

The best hope for new, relatively accurate 53' cans right now is Kato.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
I always wanted to glue 1000 tennis balls to a real Schneider container so there would be at least one prototype for the CC tooling.

I wish Dave at DI had better luck. I could use dozens of his containers.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 09:20:23 PM »
Considering nobody else is doing new schemes on containers EXCEPT Con-Cor and the very occasional Kato and that is not likely to change in the near future, we've been selling quite a few. Most don't care that much and are grabbing them up to add more variety to their stack trains. Wish somebody would do some new reefer trailers too, again not likely to happen anytime soon.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »
I always wanted to glue 1000 tennis balls to a real Schneider container so there would be at least one prototype for the CC tooling.

I wish Dave at DI had better luck. I could use dozens of his containers.

You might want to use basketballs, ijs.   :o

It is a shame that DI has been unable to really recover.   I feel like some of the other mfg's have respect for Dave and haven't jumped on some opportunities.   But I gotta think at some point containers are gonna be too hard to resist as a pretty good cash cow.   Atlas, Intermountain, and Athearn all do them in HO so eventually if DI doesn't bring it...somebody will.   Don't get me wrong...I'm right there cheering for Dave and hopefully things get rolling.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 07:29:48 PM »
It is a shame that DI has been unable to really recover... ...I'm right there cheering for Dave and hopefully things get rolling.

What happened to DI? I haven't heard anything.

Hmm... Kiz should get
those bananas out of
his ears...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
What happened to DI? I haven't heard anything.

Nothing new, but they got flooded out from Hurricane Sandy, combined with the Great recession, combined with the resultant closing of plants and Bachmann essentially kicking them out of the plant that was left, and oh by the way keeping the majority of their tooling in the process.   And during all that, they moved their headquarters.  Seems they have still had some issues getting product out, and also I think even some licensing beat-downs.   To say things haven't gone swimmingly would be an understatement.

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 08:40:58 PM »
What happened to Port of Hollywood products?  I picked up some of their containers from someone and they are quite nice. 

For better or for worse, I think Kato will be the source of new container tooling.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 10:47:51 PM »
I'm surprised Craig@BLMA hasn't pulled the trigger on 53' trailers (and maybe containers) by now.  The product can't be too complicated or expensive to make (can it?) and surely having loads to put on those beautiful spine cars would boost their sales too, no?  You're our only hope Craig.   :oops:

What happened to Port of Hollywood products?

I may be wrong, but weren't they the original incarnation of Deluxe?

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »
+1  They would be great products for BLMA.  Much less execution risk I would think. 

Craig, are you listening? :)