Author Topic: Anyone integrate Arduino/Raspberry Pi into your model trains?  (Read 6526 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +65
Re: Anyone integrate Arduino/Raspberry Pi into your model trains?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »
I'd say the Pi has significantly more and better quality tutorials on YouTube which helped me get up and running very fast (Specifically https://www.youtube.com/user/updowndown).  I've now found some great Arduino tutorials also (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4KXPjmKwPutGjwFZsEXB5g) and would now say Arduino is a lot easier and faster to experiment with. 

I received 40 micro LEDs from China today and am wiring up a test warehouse.  I must say, for how much simply lighting up a building improves a model, adding a random flicker to even just a single light really makes things come alive!  This is incredibly fun!

Now add a photo-resistor and you can make them turn on when the lights go out! That's what I've been finagling with my Arduino, next up is signals and crossings. Should only be some simple code changes. With the cheap Arduino Micro's its actually pretty cost affordable. With the Arduino Nano/Mega you can do whole towns on one swoop.

The S.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »
I see you found my grade crossing project, disguised under the detection method thread.  I plan to load the final script on the 6 dollar "Trinkets".

If you think about it, those are pretty much 6 dollar do-anything-you-want decoders.  You have to program them yourself, but maybe we can start a MRR sketch library to share/test/improve codes once enough people buy into the idea.
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
I see you found my grade crossing project, disguised under the detection method thread.  I plan to load the final script on the 6 dollar "Trinkets".

If you think about it, those are pretty much 6 dollar do-anything-you-want decoders.  You have to program them yourself, but maybe we can start a MRR sketch library to share/test/improve codes once enough people buy into the idea.

Trinkets rule.  Very nice for Free-moN modules.  Here is the code for a cheap "single sensor" grade crossing:

https://github.com/railnerd/TrinketGradeCrossing/blob/master/TrinketGradeCrossing.ino

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »

I'd be interested in a sketch library section in the forum, or stand alone site dedicated to a MRR Sketch Library. Best way to learn!

The S.