Author Topic: Kato f3's  (Read 2057 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Kato f3's
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »
http://www.katousa.com/N/F3/index.html

UP, SP and CB&Q,

Added N scale icon... -gfh
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:03:00 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
Re: Kato f3's
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:07:52 PM »
Glad to see another run of the SP black widow F-3s.  Like my AB set from a few years ago, these appear to be freight only without the steam generator roof vents.  Kato should consider building F-7 SP black widows in the future. 

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:17:22 PM »
Strangely, Kato's announcement shows Burlington units as freight only, but the drawing shows roof steam generator vents.  Both the SP and UP F-3 drawings show no vents, which means true freight only. 

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:24:45 PM »
Strangely, Kato's announcement shows Burlington units as freight only, but the drawing shows roof steam generator vents.  Both the SP and UP F-3 drawings show no vents, which means true freight only.

Kato only has a few options when it comes to the roofs.  I don't think they have a non DB version w/o the SG.  The RI release of F2s also had SGs when they shouldn't.

Glad to see more freight F's, I just wish they sold the black truck side frames as separate parts.  :(

Jason

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 04:12:33 AM »

The Q units represent former passenger units built for Cali Zephyr service after the CZ service ended and the units were moved to freight service.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
The Q units represent former passenger units built for Cali Zephyr service after the CZ service ended and the units were moved to freight service.

What he said...these were originally passenger units (notice the straight pilot), and were later repainted for freight service.
I considered the SP units but by late '49, at least, these were fitted with stainless steel grills....in fact, it's possible they were built with the grills rather than the chicken wire. I would have liked for Kato to use the same shell that they used on their most recent ATSF warbonnet release.
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »
Bruce has a point; stainless steel grilles on a black widow SP F unit are preferable.  I own a Bachmann Spectrum F-7 AB set black widow SP with stainless steel grilles.  That is one beautiful locomotive as far as color scheme goes, plus runs well and pulls good even without flywheels. 

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »
in fact, it's possible they were built with the grills rather than the chicken wire.

Not with high fans like the Kato model.  Any unit built with the SS grill would have had low fans.

Jason

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
Not with high fans like the Kato model.  Any unit built with the SS grill would have had low fans.

Jason

that makes sense...the ATSF nos. 22 on were good examples of your info...so, Kato is re-releasing these SP one's in the 'as delivered' scheme, I guess.
I'd LOVE for them to do the F7s in the black widow again, too!
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »
I'm still hoping that Kato will do the later versions of the F3.  One new roof could yield two new F3 'phases' if used on both the F3 and F7.

I got the parts ready to cast the DB vents and low fan, but cutting into that Kato plastic is a huge turnoff.

Maybe it's time to hit up Kato's 'suggest a model' e-mail.  It only took 10 years to get the Superliner transition car, and at the pace I'm going that would be about the time I would need some motive power.

Jason

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 08:57:48 PM »

The Q units actually went into freight service quite quickly and were odd ball because they lacked dynamic brakes.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
Maybe it's time to hit up Kato's 'suggest a model' e-mail.

4 or 5 years ago I suggested an SDP40F. I am still hoping that they make it!

As the ATSF had some of them, they would have a model that sells, as ATSF is always a hit and WILL sell.

Other than that, I really would like to see CB&Q E8's. Pulling the California Zephyr with them is always an option.

Let's see what we have 5 years from now...

Javier

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: Kato f3's & Bachmann Spectrum F-7's
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 01:13:55 AM »
 :|          Changing the topic just slightly, the Bachmann SP Black Widow locomotive can be converted to DCC. Not exactly cheap the body shells are the same as those on the new DCC GN & ATSF locomotives. GN engines with their black trucks make the swap easy, or modelers can just wait for more DCC road names to be released like SP and EL from non DCC runs. Nate Goodman (Nato).