Author Topic: A new run of GS-4 drivers are now in stock at Kato USA's parts store!  (Read 2027 times)

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
https://twitter.com/KatoUSAInc/status/505084749208354816

A new run of GS-4 drivers are now in stock at Kato USA's parts store!

http://www.katousa.com/parts-catalog/information.html

Ordered a new set and spare for my GS4. Maybe now it wont run down the track like it has a hitch in its step.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:01:39 AM by GaryHinshaw »
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
I wonder if these will show up at MB Klein at a discount...
How about GS-4 tender trucks?
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
They already have a page set up for FEF-3 parts.  Most say "Estimated Arriving 12/2014" but a couple parts common to other things are listed.  One of the most interesting is #926056 FEF Coreless Motor!  Along with the  driver, leading and trailing trucks and the tender truck set.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
I'm not taking chances on them selling out while waiting for any discount from retailers!  I have a fleet of GS4's and several are down due to axle problems.  I already ordered 6 sets from KATO this morning.

peteski

• Crew
Here is some exciting info I received directly from Kato USA.

These drivers are a revised design that eliminates the potential issues the original driver sets have experienced.  (ie, cracking, going out of quarter).  This is the same design that will be used on the upcoming FEF.  It's only taken me several years and a bunch of gray hair to pull this one off.

Looks like Kato Japan mothership does eventually listen to their US counterparts.  :) I also asked about the GS-4 tender trucks and was told:
The are no plans of a rerun of tender truck sets at this time, however if we do more GS4's in the future, they will be rerun then.
. . . 42 . . .

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Here is some exciting info I received directly from Kato USA.

These drivers are a revised design that eliminates the potential issues the original driver sets have experienced.  (ie, cracking, going out of quarter).  This is the same design that will be used on the upcoming FEF.  It's only taken me several years and a bunch of gray hair to pull this one off.

Looks like Kato Japan mothership does eventually listen to their US counterparts.  :) I also asked about the GS-4 tender trucks and was told:
The are no plans of a rerun of tender truck sets at this time, however if we do more GS4's in the future, they will be rerun then.

This is great news, from what I can tell, they used the same Hexagonal design as on the Mikado.  As to why they departed from that in the first place is a mystery!

peteski

• Crew
Re: A new run of GS-4 drivers are now in stock at Kato USA's parts store!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:11:38 AM »
This is great news, from what I can tell, they used the same Hexagonal design as on the Mikado.  As to why they departed from that in the first place is a mystery!

Ok, I got mine.  I like the new design. No more broken plastic tubes or out-of-quarter drivers.  But contrary to Kato's description they did not use a faceted axle. Instead, they utilize linear fluting on a round axle. While this achieves the desired result (keeps the drivers from going out of quarter), I wouldn't recommend taking the wheels of the axle then trying to reassemble them in quarter.  The method used on Mikado drivers was much more re-assembly friendly.

Here is a pair of drivers where I partially pulled one wheel off the axle to show the fluting.

Here is the geared driver:

What is interesting is that the traction tires appear to be different then the original GS-4 tires.  They seem to "stick" to the rim better and don't seem to stretch as easily as the original ones.  These might be less prone to coming off the wheel.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 07:29:52 AM »
Ok, I got mine.  I like the new design. No more broken plastic tubes or out-of-quarter drivers.  But contrary to Kato's description they did not use a faceted axle. Instead, they utilize linear fluting on a round axle. While this achieves the desired result (keeps the drivers from going out of quarter), I wouldn't recommend taking the wheels of the axle then trying to reassemble them in quarter.  The method used on Mikado drivers was much more re-assembly friendly.

Here is a pair of drivers where I partially pulled one wheel off the axle to show the fluting.

Here is the geared driver:

What is interesting is that the traction tires appear to be different then the original GS-4 tires.  They seem to "stick" to the rim better and don't seem to stretch as easily as the original ones.  These might be less prone to coming off the wheel.

Peter, re-quartering should be OK as long as the number of spline teeth is divisible by two.  If its an odd number of teethe we're screwed, LOL!

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 02:20:23 AM »
I ordered 2 sets for 2 of my 3 GS (and GS Based) loco, Hows the wheel spacing? Conforms to NMRA hopefully......
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 02:47:04 AM »
I ordered 2 sets for 2 of my 3 GS (and GS Based) loco, Hows the wheel spacing? Conforms to NMRA hopefully......

They are in gauge. However the flanges are deeper than NMRA specs so to me it is difficult to tell if they are in perfect gauge.  The flanges do fit in the notches in the gauge.  What is good about Kato wheels is that the flange is radiused really nicely where it meets the thread.  That should result in smooth running
. . . 42 . . .