Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/28/21  (Read 7324 times)

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
Re: Weekend Update 2/28/21
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2021, 10:32:44 PM »
BTW - They roll as good as any freight truck I have seen with plastic or metal wheels.

That's been my experience as well.  They may not have the same wear capability as Delrin but I think that's a difference of running 24 hours a day for years instead of decades. ;)  They look good! 8)
Mark G.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2021, 11:29:56 PM »
I'd love to see Bowser do an N scale N8 cabin car.  I have some brass ones though.  I talked to the Bowser rep at Trainfest a few years ago and he said it probably wouldn't happen because there were so few RR's that used them.  I've acquired enough Bowser N5's and N5c's, so I probably don't need to buy any more of those.  I also have several various brass N5's as well.  I just like collecting them I guess...

ICG bought some from PC in the 1970's

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2051566

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2021, 12:30:26 AM »
+3
Thanks to @ChessieFan (Aaron Bearden) there is going to be a V3 of the pressed steel trucks.  :facepalm:

He provided me with some very good photo's of the trucks from the B&O museum. Looks like I got most everything right except the bearing cups. They will need to be redrawn.

Better modeling through peer pressure.....
If you are going to do something, do it right......

Seriously, thanks for sending me those pictures.
Tony Hines

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +440
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2021, 06:18:43 PM »
Glad to help, Tony!  8)  I wish I had taken even more measurements but I did those long before 3D modeling was an attainable thing.  Glad I saw your post when I did.  I haven't done any modeling in a long time but I have done some 3D modeling recently.  I'll post those in next week's thread.

(ChessieFan was my old Atlas forum name.  :P  I regret now that I didn't keep it the same when I registered here umpteen years ago.)
Aaron Bearden

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2021, 02:31:10 AM »
I do agree that the tree by the building is rather too close to the track, and that the signs are oddly placed.  But the diorama seems to be otherwise very well done and weathered.

It also would work if it was a tall dead stump of a tree -- that got too big for the location but instead of the expense of cutting it all down and excavating they merely cut off the top and all the lower branches. Still would look impressive as the whole live tree. Nobody much does stumps, deadfall, or big completely dead leafless trees sticking up out of "live" trees on layouts. Circle of life, people.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2021, 02:07:13 PM »
+2
Nobody much does stumps, deadfall, or big completely dead leafless trees sticking up out of "live" trees on layouts. Circle of life, people.

Not completely true. 
Granted, this certainly isn’t the best picture, but if you look above the Green boxcar, you’ll notice a dead tree amongst the others.

Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2021, 05:00:22 PM »
I said nobody "much" does dead trees. Fallen over and ones with tops snapped off by windstorms are also neat. 
Dead and fallen over into a a waterway or lake another great visual. Wazzou, what did you use?

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2021, 05:18:10 PM »
Sisal fibers in twisted wires like my live trees but with far fewer branches, the wires coated with white glue and then painted gray.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2021, 05:28:41 PM »
+3
Nobody much does stumps, deadfall, or big completely dead leafless trees sticking up out of "live" trees on layouts. Circle of life, people.

I was doing dead trees back in 1973 on my first "real" layout. The layout also had many stumps scattered about. Utterly crappy photo, but the tree just to the right of the tank car is dead.

Dead and fallen over into a a waterway or lake another great visual.

And while I don't have a photo, my Z Scale James River Branch (2006) had deadfall all over the place, as did my Z Scale Gorre & Daphetid (2011):

Note that this one fell over into a lake...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 05:54:56 PM by DKS »