Author Topic: Vibration Cutter (Keep it clean guys!)  (Read 1187 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1222
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Vibration Cutter (Keep it clean guys!)
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
   I bought a full size vibration cutter last year and the thought occurred to me that maybe a miniature version would work for some of my projects. The idea is to provide a more controlled,cut than using a rotary tool.

This idea is dedicated to Richie Dost as he shared a similar idea to convert a mini battery operated screwdriver into a wall wart driven micro pencil drill that is indispensable to me.

As proof of concept, I cut off the brush end of an extra replacement brush for my Philips Sonicare rechargeable toothbrush. The toothbrush handle moves the brush by magnetic attraction, so there is no mechanical connection here, more on that issue later.

After cutting off the brush head, I drilled and tapped a hole to mount a Gyros cutting wheel to the end perpendicular to the shaft of the brush. The cutter is actually a miniature saw blade.  I settled on this cutter after trying various other cutters, such as a diamond wheel, a Dremel hard cutting wheel snapped into a triangle (to get some point to dig into the material).

So far the concept will only work on hydrocal and Durhams Putty.  It will cut into plastics too, which is what I intended it for, but not very effectively. I think this is due to the lack of mechanical connection, so I am going to try some other handles that have a direct connection.

Ideas, comments? I think the idea has promise especially for those who have slipped with a rotary tool only to discover that the slip left a gouge or some other damage.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1977
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Vibration Cutter (Keep it clean guys!)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:27:23 PM »
Excellent concept John!  But like you said - you will need more torque!  :-)
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1049
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:37:39 PM »
Interesting idea. I also have an oscillating cutter; it doesn't cut fast, but it cuts accurately and has a great amount of control. Biggest complaint I have with it is the weight.

There is, or was, a kitchen tool called a "SonicScrubber". It's like a large electric toothbrush, but has a lot more torque, which is what you need here. We bought one on clearance about four years ago at the local supermarket and I haven't seen another since. If they're still available it might be worth checking out.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Respect: +67
"...that each may live for all,
and all may care for each..."

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:32 PM »
A quick surf... SonicScrubber left the US market in 2012. I think I recall it was initially one of those TV infomercial gadgets, but apparently made the crossover into B&M retail.
...mike

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +764
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »
Thanks John . Maybe that Dremel cutter thing we see on TV for cleaning grout would have more power for plastics .The only thing I can think of is that could be an automatic small bell ringer for sound effects on the layout . Would take a lot of tests to see what size bell and how ridged its mounted for the sound and speed wanted . Is that thing noisy ?

As a 'nother use I see shots of model steam locos with a plume of smoke in the photo . Not sure if it's done by wiggling cotton or something while the shot is taken , or some less crude more modern method . So maybe if this fang cleaner was hidden behind the loco with the cotton attached , then the camera mounted on a solid something , timer , and a slow shutter speed would the result be good ? 

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »
Richie, that Dremel tool ("MultiMax") is the same sort of 1:1 tool John mentioned; I have Rockwell's version of the same idea. For N scale modeling they'd be like swatting flies with a Buick.
...mike

PaulP

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:19 AM »
I agree Mike
We use a Fein brand at work and I see no use for it in our nscale world unless it would be with benchwork.
I did use it to cut out dividers in plastic  drawers for a carrying case and it didn't like to cut plastic very well.
So I wouldn't think a miniature one would work any better on styrene.
They do work pretty nice on fiberglass and larger wood projects.

Paul

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1222
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
I have that scrubber.  I have enough heads to attempt an approach, but it may prove difficult to attach the blade.  There are other brushes out there with a d shaped shaft, that might work.  I did have to used a diamond grinder to open up the hole in the blade, so I could attempt a d shape with a nut. 

I does cut plastic, the blade points work nicely, on it, but it bogs down when the blade is buried.