Author Topic: Kato Tweaks UP Yellow  (Read 5138 times)

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
Re: Kato Tweaks UP Yellow
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
Being a confirmed rivet counter and a diehard U.P. modeler, two decades ago I went to extremes to find the "correct" U.P. colors (Armour Yellow, Harbor Mist Gray) by spraying various brands' colors over a primer base, then taking my samples down to the Riverdale Yard and comparing them to real engines parked there between noon and 2:00PM on a May day. 

My findings were that Scalecoat II had the best color as well as a nice shiny finish for newly painted U.P. colors.

However, on really weathered faded engines, Floquil was the best Armour Yellow, even to its flat finish.

Harbor Mist Gray was different on most faded engines with a combination of dust, grime, exhaust fume coating and fading due to sunlight or heat.  Location on the engine also made differences.

Can't agree with you more!
No problem with any of Kato's UP yellows!
Bruce
Later, as I got into modeling specific U.P. engines, cabooses and passenger equipment using photos as references, it became obvious that there were many variations in the prototype colors depending on where the equipment was shopped, its usage, and how long it'd been since the last shopping, with photos containing images of several pieces of equipment supposedly painted the same colors showing obvious variations.

The conclusion that I came to regarding various manufacturers' versions of U.P. colors is that (within certain parameters) the variations in equipment color in N-scale on my layout doesn't bother me anymore, since there are similar variations in the "real world".

With the addition of weathering, the differences become less obvious...even just a bit of weathering with an airbrush or chalks makes a huge difference in the overall appearance, and individual color differences start to look much more acceptable and prototypical.

Just sayin'....
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »
I totally agree.... 

Just think it is interesting how they seem so consistent for a while and then make changes (and why)

I don't think anyone else comes close to Kato in model to model color consistency.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1261
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 12:07:42 AM »
I'm sure what I'm about to ask is probably ludicrous to some, but I don't want to go the brass route yet (if ever).

I plan on converting my Dome-Lounge tailcar from the Kato CoLA set into a UPP 9009 City of San Francisco. Mainly I would have to remove the side lights and of course the neon light and plan on just filling that back in with styrene  and a diaphragm, as well as probably shaving the rear light off.

What is the best paint match for the set?

Chris

Chris,
There's an article about your project in the Sept-Oct 2012 N Scale Railroading, Page 54 thru 57 by TRW's own Bill Denton (and it is an excellent, complete article I might add).

His paint mixture to match the Kato COLA Armour Yellow is: 15 parts Tru-Color Armour Yellow to 1 part Tru-Color Milwaukee Road Orange.

If you haven't seen this article by Bill, I would highly recommend it as he's also got other techniques outlined that I'd never heard of before which work really great.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
Chris,
There's an article about your project in the Sept-Oct 2012 N Scale Railroading, Page 54 thru 57 by TRW's own Bill Denton (and it is an excellent, complete article I might add).

His paint mixture to match the Kato COLA Armour Yellow is: 15 parts Tru-Color Armour Yellow to 1 part Tru-Color Milwaukee Road Orange.

If you haven't seen this article by Bill, I would highly recommend it as he's also got other techniques outlined that I'd never heard of before which work really great.

I think I have this one, but not 100% sure, it would be in storage as I moved. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is where he also did modifications to the tail car as well? I'll definitely have to try to find my copy if I have one or somewhere online.

Edit ~ I did find my copy, and of course it was the one issue that had something spilt on it. Luckily those 4 pages are safe for the most part. Will definitely aid me in doing my 3 domes. Though of course one will still have the end windows (UPP 9009 City of San Francisco) and the other two plated over (UPP 9005 Walter Dean &  UPP 9004 Harriman). Still not sure if I will do the ribs for those two; Bob, do you know what the ribs were for? I can't seem to find information on them.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:53:52 PM by EspeeGoldenState »
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1261
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 02:45:03 AM »
I think I have this one, but not 100% sure, it would be in storage as I moved. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is where he also did modifications to the tail car as well? I'll definitely have to try to find my copy if I have one or somewhere online.

Edit ~ I did find my copy, and of course it was the one issue that had something spilt on it. Luckily those 4 pages are safe for the most part. Will definitely aid me in doing my 3 domes. Though of course one will still have the end windows (UPP 9009 City of San Francisco) and the other two plated over (UPP 9005 Walter Dean &  UPP 9004 Harriman). Still not sure if I will do the ribs for those two; Bob, do you know what the ribs were for? I can't seem to find information on them.

Chris

Chris,

The ribs, or "vanes" were aerodynamic devices to keep the dome windows cleaner and I'm both not sure where I read that, or when they were applied.  I guess they were effective as most (if not all) U.P. dome cars had them eventually.

I've seen a couple of instances of these that were made from brass wire, on the Overland Models versions I'm pretty sure, and they look pretty good.  Seems like a relatively easy and effective way to make 'em.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: Ribs on Dome Car Roofs
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »
                :|  Since this thread has drifted a bit from UP color to the wind deflector ribs on Union Pacific Dome Cars, here is more information. Photos that I have looked at indicate that some time in mid to late 1955 the railroad applyed the wind deflector ribs on the front roof dome cars ,to keep dust  from coating the dome,especially the front windshield/windows. Several photos on the Web Lurkers Dome site show Observationn Cars with the ribs and original rear ends with windows. When many of the UP domes were sold to various other sources "Auto Train" private dinner trains etc. these ribs were usually removed. The City Of San Francisco car was repurchased by UP had been in a dinner train. UP re added ribs not only on the front roof but also on the rear (long end) roof since the car is sometimes operated in the other orientation. I believe atleast one of the other dome cars re purchased by UP much rebuilt dome diner Columbia River? currently has no ribs. The side marker lights were not removed right away on the observation /lounge cars when they were converted to mid train cars, a photo on the Web Lurkers site shows a mid train converted car still with the markers,which confirms my child hood memories of a 1958 COLA trip where the dome lounge had the marker lights,but was a mid train car. Nate Goodman (Nato).

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 04:34:16 PM »
City of San Francisco does not have the ribs on the car, though it still has the two rear observation windows. Walter Dean and Harriman are the two that has ribs and no rear windows. They are the only two domes in the fleet that have them oddly enough as you would think they would install them on all them.

Thanks for the info!

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »
      :|     Thanks for the update, I will have to look at my brass model COSF again, maybe it is my brass model Harriman (Walter Dean?) that has ribs now on both car end roofs. The roof ribs (vanes) were less than effective which is why I believe they have not been applyed to other cars. Nate Goodman (Nato).