Author Topic: Cisco Bridge Fire  (Read 1107 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Cisco Bridge Fire
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:56:25 PM »
Apparently this fire was started by a freight cars brakes!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:05:25 AM by unittrain »

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
Re: Cisco Bridge Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
That is great footage from 2011.  I used that video and the reconstruction video he shot for detail reference material while building the bridge.  There was also a fire/derailment in the 1970s- it has seen some tough service!

kornellred

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »
Doesn't Canada have some form of organized oversight roughly equivalent to OSHA?  My jaw dropped when I viewed that reconstruction video of the Cisco bridge.  Those two men who were lying down (somewhat) between the replaced bridge ties while a backhoe tediously creeps up with a preassembled panel track section.....were they afraid that they might fall off the bridge if they just got the f&@k out of it's path?  Those two monkeys sweeping the charred remnants off of the steelwork were not afraid of falling off, were they?  OSHA officials would have arrested the backhoe operator and the gang supervisor, and sent the two hardhats in for psychiatric evaluation.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
Umm, stand down OHSA, they had safety ropes and harnesses.  You can clearly see it around 3:44 where they are sweeping the metal off.    In a lot of other cases, the crew are behind railings when there is no clear harnesses.  Looks pretty careful to me and I would be surprised if there was not an inspector there the entire time. 

What I never noticed before was the cool little hopper that the loader hauled off the bridge.  In fact, those things that the loaders moved on the tracks with were neat as well.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »
Only problem with OSHA is that it is a government authority and the only thing they know about safety is found in their training manuals.Most of the inspectors I ever met were almost as smart as  a pi$$ant.Some were even dumber. :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
Only problem with OSHA is that it is a government authority and the only thing they know about safety is found in their training manuals.Most of the inspectors I ever met were almost as smart as  a pi$$ant.Some were even dumber. :D

Truer words have never been spoken.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)