Author Topic: spray painting decals  (Read 871 times)

h2w

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
spray painting decals
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:56:32 PM »
I have some green microscale block lettering but I need black could I spray it black before I cut them from the sheet or will this mess up the decals?

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: spray painting decals
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 12:47:49 AM »
Depends. I believe if you use acrylic it should be fine, but if you use any of the solvent based it may attack the decal film.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:08:59 AM »
Let me get that straight:  You have a sheet of green lettering waterslide decal and you want to spray the entire sheet black, then cut out the lettering (painted solid black), stick in water, then apply it to the model?!
. . . 42 . . .

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 04:10:24 AM »
Let me get that straight:  You have a sheet of green lettering waterslide decal and you want to spray the entire sheet black, then cut out the lettering (painted solid black), stick in water, then apply it to the model?!

That's what I was thinking...  :?

I don't see how that will work, the lettering from Microscale is not lasar cut, so it's not like they will slide off the sheet in a perfect letter like a peel and stick decal would.  Just spend the extra dough and buy the black lettering.  It'll save you a lot of time and aggrevation.

Cheers,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

lajmdlr

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
Seems like it would be a big pain in the you know what to cut out each letter AND being careful to not cut into &/or each letter. Guess you would have to do it upside down so you can cut around the each green letter. Like others have said, it would be a whole lot easier to buy some black decals. If your LHS doesn't stock them or can't order them, try the internet sellers. You should also be able get them thru eBay &/or Yahoo Group buying/selling forums. You can even try a local art supply shop.  You should also be able to find them thru a Google search.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ Modeler

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 08:50:17 AM »
If you ebay check with these guys.They have Virnex decals which have no carrier film and do not require a gloss finish for application. :(
To bad Virnex quit making decals. :(

http://stores.ebay.com/PARK-LANE-HOBBIES-on-the-NET?_trksid=p4340.l2563
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made