Author Topic: steam roster vs Helix  (Read 2132 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Re: steam roster vs Helix
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 03:37:26 AM »
Never understood why helixes are held in such high regard. I think it's significant that the first helix I ever saw publicized, the one on the Clinchfield layout, was not used for the mainline but merely to connect two industries for an "loads in-empties out" scheme. Some people may love them, but for me the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. I hate hidden track with a passion. To each his own  ...

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »
Well depending on your layout space you might not have the room to fit everything you want in one deck.  I don't think anyone makes a helix because they love them, they make them because they need to fit more layout into a smaller space.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 02:54:28 PM »
@OldEastRR, given that my helix is close to 1/3 of my mainline, I had the same misgivings about it being hidden. I designed mine to be supported from the inside so that each level can remain open and visible to the operators. Not very prototypical looking, but at least the trains won't disappear for three to six minutes.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 09:17:33 PM »
I don't think "high regard" is quite the word for how helixes are viewed.  They serve a very definite and useful purpose: a big change in elevation in a compact space.  But they come at a price: trains out of sight for a long time, and issues with pulling power or derailments unless the helix is quite expertly constructed and the grades are very gentle.   As I've pointed out, I lived with an 18" radius helix that rose 12" on my last layout.  Trains took about 50 seconds to climb it.  I didn't like that, and I didn't like the limitations on pulling power it imposed.  But... it gave me a spectacular deep rock cut scenic feature and a city scene on an island that was high up at eye level in the middle of the room, both of which were wonderful.

After living with it, I decided the negatives outweighed the positives, so if I could avoid it in the future I would (and I have).
It's like anything else.  It has it's plusses and minuses.  You have to decide if you like what it does for you. 

For me, I would have to get the grade down to 1.5%, and that would make the climb time so long that it would really bother me.