Author Topic: What are the 7 wonders of the US railroading world?  (Read 3670 times)

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
Re: What are the 7 wonders of the US railroading world?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 09:09:59 AM »
thomas viaduct

+1...amazed it took so long to make the list. A century plus of continuous service for what was one of a long list of firsts for the B & O. Keddie Wye isn't too bad either...

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
1. Cascade Tunnel (both versions)
2. Moffat Tunnel
3. North East corridor
4. Water Level route
5. Tehachapi Loop
6. Horseshoe curve
7. MILW pacific extension

Kind tough to choose... I wanted to stick Marias Pass or Stampede Pass in the list too
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
I can't believe I'm the only one that has listed Powder River as a great wonder. If you've been there, the awe of what is talking place stays with you for some time, and to be there when it's at its zenith (instead of just wondering what it was like) is a remarkable thing.

3DTrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
    • 3DTrains
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
I can't believe I'm the only one that has listed Powder River as a great wonder. If you've been there, the awe of what is talking place stays with you for some time, and to be there when it's at its zenith (instead of just wondering what it was like) is a remarkable thing.

It is remarkable, but simply laying rail across rolling hills with nary a serious grade, sharp curve or anything resembling an engineering feat doesn't make it a wonder. I don't mean to degrade the line, as I too find the Powder River fascinating with all the traffic and mining activities (Orin and Black Hills are my favorites). However, I wouldn't consider it anywhere near the top seven - just one person's opinion though.

Cheers!
Marc - Riverside

John5614

• Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 11:37:05 PM »
There are many great rail lines in America but for me the  top 7 in no particular order is The Hanging Bridge, Cascade tunnel,the Kate Shelly bridge, keddie wye, the rail line to key west,Tehachapi loop,and Cajon pass.

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 03:30:02 PM »
I have to say the Feather River Canyon and Donner Routes are by far my favorites, (since I grew up going through them to my grandparent's house) no matter who's running on them.  Plus they have all the same features you guys drool over back here with MUCH better scenery. (Keddie Wye, Williams Loop, Pulga Gap, Honeymoon Tunnels, and Donner Summit) Going through Tehachapi and Cajon are pretty cool too.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »
It is remarkable, but simply laying rail across rolling hills with nary a serious grade, sharp curve or anything resembling an engineering feat doesn't make it a wonder. I don't mean to degrade the line, as I too find the Powder River fascinating with all the traffic and mining activities (Orin and Black Hills are my favorites). However, I wouldn't consider it anywhere near the top seven - just one person's opinion though.

Cheers!
Marc - Riverside

It is not the engineering of the Orin Line that makes it a wonder, but the magnitude of the operation, the volumes originated, the ever expanding infrastructure, and what I represents to railroading in general.

Also, tons of antelope all over the place.