Author Topic: Boeing Freight Car Near Farmingdale NY/ Republic Airport  (Read 1075 times)

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Boeing Freight Car Near Farmingdale NY/ Republic Airport
« on: September 15, 2014, 05:11:38 PM »
While doing some research on the old LIRR Republic station, when I came across this photo I would say circa 1970s,  due to the fact the first 747 wasn't flown till '69.

Does anybody know what kind of freight car this is?  It kinda looks like a somebody took an auto carrier and chopped it in half and made it slight shorter in height.

“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +123
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Boeing Freight Car Near Farmingdale NY/ Republic Airport
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:14:04 PM »
I am pretty sure those cars - very common in the West -  are just flatcars with a massive cover over an assembly which is
attached to the floor.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:45:28 AM »
Exactly.  And, as it says on the side, it hauls parts for a 747.  These have been around almost as long as the 747 itself, although most of the hoods lost the fancy lettering years ago.

LBF made N scale models of the thing years ago, but I always questioned their accuracy, as the hood fills the entire car.  In the few prototype pictures I'd seen there is a space at each end for the brakeman to stand.  I've never found a way to shorten the hood and keep the lettering.  As the GN cars are the only ones I have prototype pictures of, I always assumed LBF simply screwed up.

I notice this car doesn't have the platforms, so apparently LBF is correct after all.  And that looks like the GN's cars, which were in the 607xx series.  Maybe there were different length hoods?  Certainly there were multiple variations on the lettering.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:10:49 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1820
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »
I have that LBF model.  The model has a slightly different shape (the sides have more of a bevel). We used those cars to model the contemporary Boeing Train on friend's MRL layout.

--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +123
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:36:09 AM »
I've seen both the longer and shorter hoods in use...

BTW in the '90's there was a movement of these cars (not fuselages) on the SP I-5 route.

jwb

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »
It's almost a case of no two alike. I live in SoCal and see them pretty frequently. SP had a series of 30 or so that were similar, but other series were much smaller, since they were mostly custom-designed around the particular parts they were meant to carry. Northrop was a subcontractor for 747 parts, so a lot of traffic in these went from the Northrop facility in Hawthorne, CA up the I-5 to Boeing. However, the SP style cars also carried FA-18 parts from Hawthorne to McDonnell Douglas in St Louis. Boeing/TBCX cars went from Northrop to Seattle, as well as other TBCX cars running between Boeing plants in Wichita and Seattle. Other projects like C5A had different design cars on different routes.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:06:35 AM »
Peteski:  Just keep the train away from water.  Remember MRL's "planes in the river" incident a few months ago?

That is a nice looking train.
N Kalanaga
Be well