Author Topic: ??? N scale Walthers Geo.Roberts Printing company.  (Read 5320 times)

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
??? N scale Walthers Geo.Roberts Printing company.
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:42:42 PM »
I've had this building a long time.Problem is I can't remember how long.What I do remember is I bought it shortly after Walthers brought it out.Anybody got a clue as when exactly it was produced for the first time?
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
Re: ??? N scale Walthers Geo.Roberts Printing company.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »
Just a wild hunch,but I'm guessing Gary was bored this morning.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
Kitbash of that kit has been on friend's layout for quite some time.   I would guess since late 90s.

PS If this thread is considered "product discussion" then pretty soon there will be nothing left in the N/Z forum.  Seems that pretty everything posted in N/Z could be moved to either Product Discussion or Scratchbuilding/Weathering/Detailing sections.  ANd some maybe into Best Of section.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »
Well I know this bash was done before 2002 but my memory is a bit foggy as to exactly when. My intent was to show the original bash circa ???? and the rebash I am doing now.I just can't see sense posting pictures of a kitbash in this forum.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:07:53 PM »
Catt, if you want to share your ideas about modeling with this kit, I'll happily move this thread back to N&Z.  Your OP clearly asked: when did this kit first get released?  No hint of a modeling angle at all.  The whole point of opening the Product thread was to keep the N&Z forum focused on modeling.   Please post your pics and we'll move it back.

And thank you for your concern Peteski.

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
Ok, this much I remember about the bash I've decided 2000 was the build date (can't be more than two years off).

Anyway the original bash looked like this.

In the original build this wall and the backside were in a corner of my former layout and were simply plain white styrene.That end wall is still a flat piece of styrene.All the detail such as it is  hand painted with what used to be very steady hands

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
I've been wanting to do this expansion for a couple years now but just did not have the money to buy the Variety Printing background model kit.You may have noticed that the Variety kit is just the front of Geo. Roberts.I could not use the origonal front because I cut it up for the original bash.My friend Don Day over on the Big Blue forum sold me the Variety kit for $15.00 so bash #3 has commenced.Anyway here are 3 progress pics to show where I am at right now (with more to come)

Next phase will be removing the truck dock doors and building a shipping dock scene.Thinking about enlarging the doors some too.By the way I got rid of the cobwebs too.  :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:32:48 AM by Catt »
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 11:35:50 AM »
 Lucky break on picking up the extra kit. That is looking good Catt!
. . . 42 . . .

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
That's a nice kit...I'm always finding half-built ones under the tables at shows but they're always HO. I guess us N scalers realize what a kitbash gold mine it is. I guess with a little re-work on the doors it could be used in N scale.

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »
Thanks Pete,this must be one of the longest kitbashing jobs ever.  :D

I think I've got the building almost the way I want it to look.Being as it is now a furniture factory though I think I need some sort of system to collect wood chips and sawdust.

Jeff,I just rebuilt a Model Power sawmill/lumberyard kit for the club's N scale layout and I know for a fact that it was originally a HO kit (I had one) neat part of the job was I had nothing but the cost of the glue in that project cause everything else was in my parts stash.

All of the buildings on my layout except one are either kitbashed or scratchbuilt. The one that isn't is one of the neatest builds of any kit I've seen but the builder must own stock in Testors because the windows ,doors, and all joints are glued solid with tube cement. :(
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 10:54:23 PM »
Removed the shipping dock doors today and built a floor for the shipping department.Next project (at least for right now) will be a sidewalk in front of the offices.Right now I am trying to decide if I want the sidewalk right up tight to the building or do I want to put some grass between the two.Anyway here is today's progress pic.

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »
Judging by the vehicle, this is is a modern layout. How about paving that area and making it the employee parking lot.  I almost never see those modeled next to industrial buildings.
. . . 42 . . .

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 12:15:05 AM »
The Grande Valley Railway is definitely a modern day railroad.I have to agree about the parking lots in fact they are a must have.But being a modern day factory W. Fowler is a person who believes a little grass ( not the smoking kind though) is good for the environment.The sidewalk will be 10' wide (city requirement ) and the grassy area will match that.Employee parking lot will be from that walk till the edge of the track for the siding.I'm also thinking of more parking lot to the right of the building.

W.Fowler is a real person and a long time friend (since 1994).I have a tendency to name the companies on my layouts after my friends both real and cyber. :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Catt

• Crew
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
Next phase = parking lots for office and employees.First up is the office parking lot.Employee lot will be to the right of the building and I will finally have something to fill that area.

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 09:25:29 PM »
Looking good Catt!  I like the grass strip, but remember that it needs maintaining: moving, fertilizing...  That costs money.  Some company owners would have just paved over that area.  :D
. . . 42 . . .