Author Topic: module wiring  (Read 859 times)

dick green

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
module wiring
« on: September 15, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
Im sure this info is out there somewhere but I cant find it, so here goes

I am building a module that will be part of my home layout which is DC. I would also use it as a Freemon module.

Is the wiring different?

Thanks
Dick

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: module wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »
Im sure this info is out there somewhere but I cant find it, so here goes

I am building a module that will be part of my home layout which is DC. I would also use it as a Freemon module.

Is the wiring different?

Thanks
Dick

Different than what?
. . . 42 . . .

dick green

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »
i know there are special connectors to join to other modules, but do I just use the same buss wires with feeder drops like i do with dc

Thanks
Dick

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:14:03 PM »
Dick

The wiring of a Free-moN module usually assumes DCC and reversibility. A two wire bus with a pair of RED Anderson PowerPole 30 amp connectors at each end are used for track power— when viewed from the module "endplate" the left rail is wired to the TOP power pole connector.  We remember this as the "LEFT-OVER" rule.

Since each wire of the track bus attaches to an independent rail, so you should be able to run DC on the rails— just be careful to match your polarity with the rest of your layout.

Best practices say you should wire the bus through the module, break out to local bus, and then attach feeder wires between the local bus and the rails— this is mostly so you can add detection circuitry later.**

-Dave

** If you ever consider adding detection to the module, that is where things get murky— there are detectors which do not work with DC.