Author Topic: Brass Little Joe Repair Manual- What Ajin SHOULD have done  (Read 2973 times)

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
Re: Brass Little Joe Repair Manual- What Ajin SHOULD have done
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
Wow.

With how well the reworking went, I'm surprised it hasn't sold (given what the shelf queens sell for).

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 07:10:59 PM »
Maybe some better pictures wouldn't harm. These pictures do not appeal, too dark, too orange. Take a look how brasstrains.com shows their brass for sale. Just a thought.

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 09:29:35 AM »
Yeah, my camera doesn't get along with my brown wooden desk too well - pictures tend to wind up too dark and too "warm". When I relist it I'll see if I can't get some better pictures on a more neutral background. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
-Mark

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »
For taking a roster shot, I put the model on the leading half of a piece of white paper, then prop the back if the paper up against a box so that the paper has a nice curve to it. That creates a smooth, unbroken blank background.

-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 08:15:33 AM »
Wow, that was a lot of work. I'm sure it's a great runner now with all the loving attention a master mechanic/modeler like Ron has expended on this beast.
I'm not in the market for a Little Joe - but I did look at the listing on the 'bay.
One thing you might want to consider - get the terms "N scale" and "Locomotive" in the title of the listing. Right now someone looking for an N scale Milwaukee Road engine may not find it -
Just a suggestion.
Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »
I almost never put N in the title- it is in the N category of course.

But if I have had one complaint/confusion over the years, it is people asking what scale something is.
So there are a lot of people who search and do not know how to read the sub-categories on the left side of an ebay search page.

So yeah, while I don't use up title space, I have found you almost have to place it in the description for the people who don't pay attention or get confused easily.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2024, 05:42:26 PM »
+4
2024 Update:

Just finishing another Joe rebuild for a customer.   He wanted sound so this is a supplement to the document on my website (see first post.).

Motors are getting scarce these days (2024).  These are Kato little motors from the old Pocket line.  They are 5-pole and small... just right.  The bearings also perfectly match the Ajin motor mounts.

Circuit boards are flipped, soldered together with Atlas copper pick-up strips.  A TCS micro socket for unplugging the shell.
Since space was tight, I shimmed the shell up a bit with white Atlas thrust washers  ( 1.9mm ).

Flywheels are Atlas Geep.. they are smaller and do not scrape.  U-joints are from an old Kato SD40.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 06:00:48 PM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2024, 05:51:01 PM »
+5
He wanted to go all-out and have sound.    Space is VERY tight, but I made it work.

Circuit boards are removed.  I have one to go here.

A plain decoder fits easily in the roof.

An ESU Nano v5 with the new board and shrink wrap removed just barely fit.   I insulated the walls with Kapton tape.  I wrapped the decoder with Kapton and superglued it to the roof.... socket exposed.

Here is the wiring harness.  Left is the speaker mounted in the nose.  Sitting on a custom board with traces cut for the speaker.   Stock light board next and runs under speaker.
Nano board in the middle, stock headlight on right.

Since I lost weight when removing the nose weight, I added weight back in 3 spots.  A squarish lead weight center, Tungsten putty on left....

And Tungsten cubes on the right.

Here's the whole assembly.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2024, 05:56:30 PM »
+3
And I added a shelf above the front flywheel to keep the wires off of it.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2024, 05:59:06 PM »
+3
Here are two sound videos and performance tests.

ESU sound files for USA electrics are scarce.   This is a tweaked GG-1 file.   I figured it would be pretty close.

Pulling power is about the same as a Kato 6-axle loco.   This is a moderately heavy intermodal train (a 4-axle Atlas loco cannot pull it alone).

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2024, 02:59:37 AM »
I never heard either a Little Joe or a GG-1, but from what I've read, the Joes were almost silent.  With no transformers or motor-generators to keep cool, about the only running noise was the traction motor blowers.  A DC model actually comes pretty close to sounding like a MILW electric without sound, except for bells and horns.
N Kalanaga
Be well