Author Topic: Trainworx 09/2014 announcements, TOFC/intermodal — SP, SOU, PFE, SeaLand  (Read 4153 times)

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
Re: Trainworx 09/2014 announcements, TOFC/intermodal — SP, SOU, PFE, SeaLand
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 11:17:52 PM »
I've tried to locate some information regarding the history of the Sea-Land schemes with little luck, so far.

Ok, here are the results of combing through my collection of pictures.

The schemes are in chronological order as presented in the Trainworx flyer...

-The 'Large Herald' scheme is at least as early as 1973.  Don't have any clear pictures of it after 1974.
-The 'small print' scheme (which I'd prefer to call the 'hyphen' scheme) shows up around 1977.  Sticks around for a long time, into the 90s, maybe even in numbers up to the Maersk merger.
-The 'small herald' scheme shows up in 1981 in a publicity shot, starts to be the main thing as the 80's go on.
-A new 'Large Print' scheme (not announced by Trainworx) shows up in 1989, becomes common as the 90s go on.   

NOTES:
1) All the pictures I have are of containers.  I don't want to use the 'f' word, but if this concerns you then you might want to ask Pat about it.  Considering who Sea-Land was, I'd actually be surprised if they had trailers, and I've been unable to turn up any evidence of that. 
2) The apparent quick disappearance of the 'Large Herald' scheme may have been due to the abandonment of 35' containers as a standard size.
3) I didn't research in detail past about 1992.  I believe there was also a scheme for reefers with a Penguin.

I also found this while searching for Sea-Land trailer pics...
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?44687-35ft-Sea-Land-Containers

You can thank me for that 40 mins of my life I won't get back.   :D :ashat: :trollface:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:20:34 PM by jagged ben »

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
Generally speaking, the SeaLand schemes are listed on the flyer in order of appearance. David Casdorph in the September 2002 Model Railroading (A-Z of Containers: SEAU to SLHT) has a photo of the logo-less red band scheme in 12/1985 on a Sealand favoured 35' container (remember the early Twinstack container cars were set up for 35' containers for this reason). The are photos of the smaller logo scheme into the late 90s, prior to their acquistion by Maersk. I'm sure the 1st big logo predates them all.

If you have a Trainlife account you can see the pictures there. Also, this series contains lots of 80s and 90s photos and is available on a CD (Highland Station) so is worth the $20 investment if you don't have it.

I sure would like to know that information, because the Seaboard System, if not hauling Sea-Land trailers containers on chassis, absolutely hauled Sea-Land double stack containers.  I'd like to get a fix on schemes.
DFF

Fixed that for you. SeaLand was an ocean carrier, not a trucker.  So that's something to bear in mind depending on how proto-strict you want to be.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 12:43:45 AM »
So you're saying none of those Sea-Land schemes are appropriate for pre-1970?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

James Costello

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 01:18:34 AM »

I'm not speaking for Ben, but I think it's difficult to say when the billboard scheme started, or just what Sea-Land scheme was used at its inception.

Some more good 70s and 80s shots here though:
http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part4/35foot.htm
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »

The 'Large Herald' scheme probably is appropriate.   I should have added a note that the dates I gave are for pictures I have and are not definitive, especially before 1980.  I don't know exactly when schemes first appeared.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
Wheels of Time has a page with Sea-Land history.

http://www.wheelsotime.com/ho-wheels-of-time-limited/#SL

Jason

James Costello

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »
Wheels of Time has a page with Sea-Land history.
http://www.wheelsotime.com/ho-wheels-of-time-limited/#SL
Jason

Thanks Jason for reminding me of that page, it does clarify some things.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »
Does anyone know if these Southern vans

40235-(01-03)    Southern corrugated van Rail-Highway
40235-(04-06)    Southern corrugated van Intermodal Freight
40435-(01-03)    Southern Flexi-Van Rail-Highway

were in service in 1971?

Hmm... thank goodness
I wasn't in service in
1971. I'd be OLD...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
New Trainworx truck trailers
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 01:30:36 AM »
NOTE:  The next four posts were moved from the N Scale section, which is why they look out of place!  :D

I received an email from Pat Sanders with announcements for new TTX flats and truck trailers.  So far there's nothing on the Trainworx website about these, so I can't post pictures.

Three of the trailers are Southern Ry, two "Containerized Freight" and one "Intermodal Freight".  Does anyone here know when these were first used?  "Intermodal" seems a little too modern for my 1974 railroad, but it's possible that the word was in common use in the Southeast before it made it to the Northwest.

Other trailers announced are PFE, SP, and Sea-Land, while the flats are 2 each of SP and PFE, and one CTTX trailer-container car.

The SP and PFE trailers look suitable for my era, and I don't remember ever seeing a Sea-Land trailer.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:25:45 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: New Trainworx truck trailers
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 01:35:35 AM »
Uh... uh... uh... (look here):

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=33856.0

(Darned site reorg!) ;)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 01:43:52 AM »
Uh... uh... uh... (look here):

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=33856.0

(Darned site reorg!) ;)

LOL!  Makes sense to me - a new product info would be in ... the new product announcements. Logical (call me Mr. Spockski).  ;)
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 02:24:27 AM »
OK, I never thought to look there...  I'm still used to N scale announcements being under - N Scale!
N Kalanaga
Be well

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
I, too, would like to know about the Southern schemes.  In particular, "Intermodal" seems a little modern for the early 70s.  At least in the Northwest, by the time that became the common term, 45 ft trailers had largely replaced the 40 footers.
N Kalanaga
Be well

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 08:19:07 AM »
I've been looking, too, but to no avail so far.  I sure would like to know that information, because the Seaboard System, if not hauling Sea-Land trailers, absolutely hauled Sea-Land double stack containers.  I'd like to get a fix on schemes.

DFF

Try http://www.wheelsotime.com/wheels-of-time-limited/.  Go down past the halfway mark to the section on Sealand logos.

The question is, did Sealand have trailers or are these container-on-chassis foobs?  I'm not bashing Trainworx and its fantastic products, but I always thought Sealand was a container shipping company.

My bad, I didn't see others had already posted this... sorry.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:21:41 AM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 09:04:59 AM »
Three of the trailers are Southern Ry, two "Containerized Freight" and one "Intermodal Freight".  Does anyone here know when these were first used?  "Intermodal" seems a little too modern for my 1974 railroad, but it's possible that the word was in common use in the Southeast before it made it to the Northwest.

Well, you should be safe for those Southern Trailers. The Green Intermodal freight trailers were built 1972ish, I'm pretty surethe Containerized freight schemes are earlier than that.