Author Topic: Spoked wheel help, please.  (Read 1791 times)

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
Spoked wheel help, please.
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:56:18 PM »
In addition to Max's quest for spoked 42" (0.263") N-scale wheels, I am seeking sources for spoked wheels in 28" (0.175"), 33" (0.206") and 36" (0.225") sizes.  If anyone knows of models that have spoked wheels in any of these sizes I would be grateful for that information.  Then will come the challenge of trying to find said wheels on the spare parts market!!

I believe the lead truck on the Athearn 2-8-0 is 28" but the last couple of times I checked with Athearn Parts, they were not available.

I am aware of the spoked "bogie/tender"wheels available through the 2mm Scale Association in the UK, but the smallest they have are 6 mm (0.236" or 38" in 1:160)

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers,

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Spoked wheel help, please.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »
In addition to Max's quest for spoked 42" (0.263") N-scale wheels, I am seeking sources for spoked wheels in 28" (0.175"), 33" (0.206") and 36" (0.225") sizes.  If anyone knows of models that have spoked wheels in any of these sizes I would be grateful for that information.  Then will come the challenge of trying to find said wheels on the spare parts market!!

I believe the lead truck on the Athearn 2-8-0 is 28" but the last couple of times I checked with Athearn Parts, they were not available.

I am aware of the spoked "bogie/tender"wheels available through the 2mm Scale Association in the UK, but the smallest they have are 6 mm (0.236" or 38" in 1:160)

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers,

Fleischmann (in Germany) has a really extensive inventory of replacement parts for they wide range of N scale steamers. I bet that they have some wheel sets close in size to the ones you are seeking. Unfortunately, unless you know someone in Germany who can order those for you through a local hobby shop, those will be very difficult to obtain. US and Canadian resellers of European models do not want to be bothered ordering spare parts.  Even if they do, it takes months (sometimes years) to get the parts you ordered (and they are very expensive).
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »
If you go to eBay, get under the N Scale category, and then search for "spoked", you will find a variety of spoked smaller wheels
from Kato (28-193 and 28-194), Graham Farish. (379-411) and Peco (NR-101).
Unfortunately, I have not been able to get a read on the diameter, but they all look like freight car or pilot size wheels, so there's a good chance they would fit your 33" and 36" needs.  I don't know about the 28".

sharriso

• Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »
Try Badgerbits (not the football site).  They have 36-inch spoked wheelsets.

http://www.badgerbits.com.au/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=14&Itemid=69

Other sources are in England:  Graham Farish N Gauge Wagon Wheels Spoked (379-411), or Peco NR-101.  Those wheelsets are for British outline rolling stock.

Shawn and Sally Harrison
    - Modeling 1850s B&O

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 02:48:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies received so far.  I have e-mailed badgerbits to inquire about shipping from Australia to Canada and to Bachmann Europe to ask about the actual diameter of the Graham Farish wheels.  The Peco wheels (NR-101) and the Kato 28-193 both appear to be all-plastic wheels which will not be suitable for my use.  One eBay listing for the Kato 28-194 wheels (plastic centres and metal rims) had photographs with a vernier caliper measuring diameters over tread and flange.  For anyone else who may be interested, these scale out at 35.5" (5.65 mm tread diameter) with 0.021" flanges and are flush axle wheelsets suitable for use as lead or trailing trucks.  These look to be the ones I will need to cobble up an inside bearing trailing truck with 36" wheels for a Prairie.

Cheers,

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:19:16 AM »
And veering around on yet another tangent....!

After Peteski's remark about Fleischmann's wheels, I remembered that I have 2 junked Fleischmann steam locos in my parts stash,
and whaddya know?   One of them has a tender on it with spoked wheels that are 41.6 scale inches in diameter! (all the others
are 38.6", about the same as the Kato Miikado's trailing truck wheel)

So.... I will wait for the 2mm Society ones to arrive (courtesy of a kind forumer who added them to his order for me).
But I do have a plan "B" if the 2mm ones don't look right.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 04:36:38 AM »

After Peteski's remark about Fleischmann's wheels, I remembered that I have 2 junked Fleischmann steam locos in my parts stash,
and whaddya know?   One of them has a tender on it with spoked wheels that are 41.6 scale inches in diameter!

:D  8)
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:26:20 AM »

and whaddya know?   One of them has a tender on it with spoked wheels that are 41.6 scale inches in diameter! (all the others
are 38.6", about the same as the Kato Miikado's trailing truck wheel)

So.... I will wait for the 2mm Society ones to arrive (courtesy of a kind forumer who added them to his order for me).
But I do have a plan "B" if the 2mm ones don't look right.

Which 2mm wheels are you using? The bogie/tender wheels or wagon wheels? The boige wheels are designed to be used for a split chassis and will need the muff to hold them together. The wagon wheels are on a standard pinpoint axle.

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »
Which 2mm wheels are you using? The bogie/tender wheels or wagon wheels? The boige wheels are designed to be used for a split chassis and will need the muff to hold them together. The wagon wheels are on a standard pinpoint axle.

I believe they will need the muff, but that really just means a hollow plastic axle, which I can make up easily enough.

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »
Great information from all of you so far.  I have now heard back from Bachmann Europe and Badgerbits (see note above by Sharriso) and the following information may be of use to others.

The Graham Farish 379-411 wheels are 6.2 mm in diameter (39" in our N-scale (1:160)) and have pointed axles.
The Badgerbits wheels are 36" diameter (1:160) and have pointed axles.
The Kato 28-194 wheels are 35.5" diameter (1:160) and have flush axle ends (suitable for use in an inside bearing truck)

The Kato wheels will be perfect for one of the applications I have - a 36" diameter inside bearing trailing truck.  I will most likely require the Badgerbits wheels when I get around to doing something about a Royal Hudson as I will then need one axle with 36" wheels in an outside bearing truck.

I have ordered a package of 8 of the Kato wheelsets from Plaza Japan - shipped to Canada, $19.70 Can ($2.46 Can/axle)
The Badgerbit wheels are $12 Aus for 12 axles plus $15 Aus shipping - this comes to $26.60 Can at today's exchange ($2.20 Can/axle)

I only looked at wheels that have metal tires.

Cheers,