Author Topic: Unusual well car  (Read 829 times)

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
Unusual well car
« on: August 27, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
I have had a spare day in Edmonton at the end of holidays so I took a few hours to watch the trains roll by on the CN mainline.  Lots of action, but this unusual car stood out from the parade of stack trains (sorry, hasty cell picture):

It was part of a group of five cars with shared inner trucks and all five were of similar design.   I have not seen anything like this before- it would make an interesting model and perhaps someone knows the back story.

lajmdlr

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
Re: Unusual "unit" of a well car
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
Technically speaking that is one "unit" of that "articulated" car (each unit shares a truck w/ adjacent units). And it's the "B" end of the car. If it's a five unit car the next wells to the left will be C, D, E then A. So all intermodal cars have A & B ends like all other freight cars. The intermediate units will all have the same car number w/ a letter following it usually on top center of the unit side. Wonder if this is a chopped down 48' well or a new design?
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ Modeler

Scottl

• Crew
Re: Unusual well car
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »
Thanks, you are right about the terminology.  They should take my foamers badge away  :lol:

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »
Freight Car America (FCA) Dynastack... built new 2014. Weight savings seems likely purpose of design.

Keep any eye out for the Railbox "Next Load, Any Road" logo on stack cars. Starting to appear on cars sporting the new red TTX logo for unknown reasons, and thus far I've only seem on A & B units in stack sets.

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the identification. 

I saw some of the NR-AR logos today on the CN trains.  I wondered about that.  The diversity of weathering, logos and paint-overs on well cars is quite remarkable and the logo is relatively small.  The color made it stand out.

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »
Makes them less likely target for graffiti as well I would think.