Author Topic: BACHMANN SD40-2  (Read 1083 times)

h2w

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
BACHMANN SD40-2
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
I  just picked up an NYSW sd40-2 dcc on board. to me it runs really good and looks great . but It seems to be missing a couple pages of the manual.
seeing it had dcc on board and I don't plan on using the dcc for a while ( I'm Strictly DC block wiring) by using it with DC am I going to mess the engine up
how and what do I lubricate, I have not lubricated an engine yet
 where can I find a site that tells you the maintenance steps for this engine.
one thing I noticed is when I turn the throttle to 0 the engine will coast quite a bit is this normal.
ok thanks
 mark

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: BACHMANN SD40-2
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:16:40 PM »
If it's running well, don't lubricate it.  One of the worst things you can do to a locomotive is over-lubricate it.  If it's new, it's probably not in need of lubrication.

Your locomotive "coasts" to zero likely because it has a flywheel.  That's a good thing, because it helps the locomotive run smoothly by allowing it to coast over dirty spots on the track and start and stop with minimal jerky-jerky movement.

Hope this helps,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:06:45 AM »
Most are lubricated just fine if not a tad bit over done from the factory. As time goes on you can add Labelle gear oil to the towers, but that will be some time away.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

jwb

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »
It will run OK with the decoder, which is "dual mode". If you feel up to disassembly, you can replace the decoder with an 8-pin dummy plug included in the box, which will improve DC operation. When you go to DCC, you can replace the decoder by removing the dummy plug.